"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If there's significant damage to the prop there will be severe vibrations, likely too much for the image stabilisation to deal with. It would even potentially be enough to disrupt the controls, or tear the engine out.

If there's significant damage to the prop there will be severe vibrations, likely too much for the image stabilisation to deal with. It would even potentially be enough to disrupt the controls, or tear the engine out.

Agreed...and any such vibration may mask the jolt from hitting the fin. Bottom line is that the instruments will note something is wrong with the engine but there are few instrument cues to help with relatively minor damage to the airframe.

Agreed...and any such vibration may mask the jolt from hitting the fin. Bottom line is that the instruments will note something is wrong with the engine but there are few instrument cues to help with relatively minor damage to the airframe.
yep, secondary damage from the vibrations may even mask control damage as well. I think that whether it hit the fin or just the prop is largely irrelevant, it hit the prop, and that was unrecoverable.
My other thought is, if the russians were dumping fuel at it, what else were they dropping (chaf, flares, etc), and what would hitting them do?

Could the jet's exhaust plume introduce enough stress in the propeller to cause overstress/fragmentation on its own? I.E., could a close no-contact pass cause the prop to unwind on its own?

There is a speed brake behind the cockpit of the Su-27. MQ-9 is not all that fast. Russian pilot training is rumored to be less than adequate.
Diving under the drone the pilot:
1). There are too many freaking variables to enumerate. Let's wait for the film at 11.
Low hour pilots trying to flex some post-Soviet muscle to impress each other(?) against an Amerikanski Air Force target that can't shoot back. Oops.

Best return on taxes. We are transferring old stock that would otherwise have to be recycled. The weapons are being used as intended without a single American casualty. We are sending equipment to NATO members so that they, in turn, can send equipment to Ukraine (and the rest of NATO is upping their game). It's the greatest advertising coup in history. So, who has the cool stuff now? Except for loser regimes, everyone is ditching Russian gear. Production is ramping up before China moved on Taiwan. It's like the American military arms industry is having a 10% off sale! JOBS! It's like what started bringing the U.S. out of the depression of the Thirties!

I'd rather my tax $ be spent building weapons for others than sending GIs to fight and die. It's a hard thing to say, because I know those sonsabitches are going through some shit. But that's my own opinion for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread