"All of Vlad's forces and all of Vlad's men, are out to put Humpty together again." (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If I was an American I'd want the southern border solidly secure as well.

So, not wishing to get political as such discussions can be held without doing so, but pardon me for the ignorance, I have a question. How is tougher defences at the border going to help when illegals arrive in the country legally and outstay their welcome?

"When it comes to people in the country without proper documentation, the majority of them didn't cross the Mexican border at all. Most of them came to the United States legally — but then don't leave.

About 700,000 travelers to the United States overstayed their visas in fiscal 2017, the most recent year for which the Department of Homeland Security has published figures. DHS estimated that, as of Sept. 30, 2017, the end of that fiscal year, more than 600,000 of those travelers were still in the U.S.

During that same year, there were just 300,000 apprehensions along the Southern border, according to Customs and Border Protection — the lowest number since 1971."

From here:

Regarding why the USA should continue supplying aid to Ukraine, the following is pretty clear...

"Since the war began, I've turned to Fiona Hill periodically for insight into what's driving Russian President Vladimir Putin, and where America's interests lie. She's a keen observer not just of Russia and its leader, but also of American politics, having served in the White House as a top adviser to both Democrats and Republicans, including President Donald Trump. Since she left the Trump administration (and after a star turn testifying in his first impeachment), she's become a highly sought-out voice on global affairs as well as the domestic roots of authoritarianism in countries around the world.
When we spoke this week, she made clear that the decision of whether Ukraine wins or loses is now on us — almost entirely. As Congress debates how much more money to authorize for Ukraine's assistance amid growing Republican opposition, she says that what we are really debating is our own future. Do we want to live in the kind of world that will result if Ukraine loses?

Hill is clear about her answer. A world in which Putin chalks up a win in Ukraine is one where the U.S.'s standing in the world is diminished, where Iran and North Korea are emboldened, where China dominates the Indo-Pacific, where the Middle East becomes more unstable and where nuclear proliferation takes off, among allies as well as enemies.
"Ukraine has become a battlefield now for America and America's own future — whether we see it or not — for our own defensive posture and preparedness, for our reputation and our leadership," she told me. "For Putin, Ukraine is a proxy war against the United States, to remove the United States from the world stage."

From here:

Gonna' need a few more Olde Fashions.

Here's one to start with…

IMG_2398.jpeg

So, not wishing to get political as such discussions can be held without doing so, but pardon me for the ignorance, I have a question. How is tougher defences at the border going to help when illegals arrive in the country legally and outstay their welcome?

"When it comes to people in the country without proper documentation, the majority of them didn't cross the Mexican border at all. Most of them came to the United States legally — but then don't leave.

About 700,000 travelers to the United States overstayed their visas in fiscal 2017, the most recent year for which the Department of Homeland Security has published figures. DHS estimated that, as of Sept. 30, 2017, the end of that fiscal year, more than 600,000 of those travelers were still in the U.S.

During that same year, there were just 300,000 apprehensions along the Southern border, according to Customs and Border Protection — the lowest number since 1971."

From here:

Regarding why the USA should continue supplying aid to Ukraine, the following is pretty clear...

"Since the war began, I've turned to Fiona Hill periodically for insight into what's driving Russian President Vladimir Putin, and where America's interests lie. She's a keen observer not just of Russia and its leader, but also of American politics, having served in the White House as a top adviser to both Democrats and Republicans, including President Donald Trump. Since she left the Trump administration (and after a star turn testifying in his first impeachment), she's become a highly sought-out voice on global affairs as well as the domestic roots of authoritarianism in countries around the world.
When we spoke this week, she made clear that the decision of whether Ukraine wins or loses is now on us — almost entirely. As Congress debates how much more money to authorize for Ukraine's assistance amid growing Republican opposition, she says that what we are really debating is our own future. Do we want to live in the kind of world that will result if Ukraine loses?

Hill is clear about her answer. A world in which Putin chalks up a win in Ukraine is one where the U.S.'s standing in the world is diminished, where Iran and North Korea are emboldened, where China dominates the Indo-Pacific, where the Middle East becomes more unstable and where nuclear proliferation takes off, among allies as well as enemies.
"Ukraine has become a battlefield now for America and America's own future — whether we see it or not — for our own defensive posture and preparedness, for our reputation and our leadership," she told me. "For Putin, Ukraine is a proxy war against the United States, to remove the United States from the world stage."

From here:

Its interesting to see how foreign policy in the US appears to have changed within the last ten years. In the previous 40, the USA was seen as stable, relatively predictable and (for better or worse) consistent in that respect. The American civil and diplomatic services were seen by their overseas counterparts as generally as of the highest order, working in concert with the secret services to supply the best intelligence by which to advise the Presidents and the administration (which was often generously shared with its key allies). That information was what guided and informed foreign policy and spanned multiple presidencies.

NATO - and the entire world - was shaken to the core when this evolved and largely stabilising, rational approach was effectively dumpstered a few years back - along with many of the staff who'd accrued some of the worlds best blend of talent and experience.

How has this critical part of the USA's foreign policy decision making apparatus been able to be repaired/repair itself in the last few years? Because its always seemed to me that analysts and advisors are the frontal cortex of your war machine. Its they that determine what's a real rather than theoretical, and its they - you know, *actual experts* rather than family friends or political or business consultants - who should shape a strategy based on established facts, trends and likelihoods beyond your domestic borders. Any potential continuing absence of people of the quality of Hill at the top table is frankly a terrifying thought.

An unexpected impact of the war on Russia itself is the weather. Russia's infrastructure was always unreliable but its this kind of thing which can make people turn

Source Metro

As Vladimir Putin is spending billions of pounds on his war in Ukraine, people across Moscow have been left freezing without heating or hot water. Temperatures in the capital plummeted to -30°C, and the old heating network is reportedly unable to withstand the weather. This has meant that more than 20,000 residents have been abandoned freezing in sub-zero temperatures recorded in their own homes for days.

This comes amid rumours of an incident at one of the largest ammunition plants in the town of Klimovsk, which some claim is connected with the problems. According to reports, Klimovsk 'is heated by one departmental boiler house of the local cartridge plant', which has broken down.
This has resulted in temperatures INSIDE the apartments reaching -10C and there were spontaneous protests in the town. A resident complained: 'The police arrived quickly to disrupt us. I wish they would bring back the heating as fast as they dispatched the cops [to disperse us].'

The track meet at the border have overwhelmed our ability to feed, clothe and track them. Additionally the orders to Border Patrol are to release them upon declaration of asylum - and zero vetting has been accomplished despite Chinese, Iranian and other foreign nationals not particularly friendly with US.

Your comment about H-1 visa types was true in 2014, but their percentage today is far lower and is far less impactful (most have jobs) and far less of a tangible threat. The cartels are using this opportunuity to secure strongholds for drug distrbution and the amount of Fentanlyl and drug associated deaths have soared over the last three years. China ia Mexico is the primary source.

I have friends in S. Texas that do not go anywhere unarmed. In east Texas where I live, the drug trafficking and cartel activities have spiked - I don't go anywhere without my 1911. My wife packs also.

The folks in New York City and Chicago are furious at Texas for exporting our problem to their cities but are apathetic about applying political pressure on their congressmen to work together to solve the problem.

The republican congress has little power to stop the flood unless and until they get the attention of the administraton - they all want to arm Ukraine but they also demand border security as well as financial accounting for the funds/arms sent to Ukraine.

Have to chnage the asylum law to force application at our embassy, and await judicial process before proceeding. The 'wall' would be nice but not the total solution. Remember we have extensive above ground infrastructure - C4/C5/Semtex is small and light - it would not take very many cells to take our power/pipeline grid down hard.

That news reminded me of the M163s with their 20mm Vulcan cannon. Are those still in storage somewhere or were they downgraded to standard M113s?

That news reminded me of the M163s with their 20mm Vulcan cannon. Are those still in storage somewhere or were they downgraded to standard M113s?
There's still quite a few around but mostly in the Middle East so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back