Allied airframes, German parts (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

He is probably our resident Mustang expert. His father flew it in WW2, and Bill even has some flight time in the P-51D as well.

Now I know who I want to be my go to guy on Mustang information. Unfortunately, the very mass of his expertise may be creating a situation of "Not being able to see a tree because of the forest".

Here is another clue for the clue list:

Fokker contributed to making it available.

Clues:

Use non-linear thinking.

It was something the genius of Willie Messerschmitt could not contribute.

Germany had it prior to WW2.

The three innovative applications of science to airframe for the Mustang was 1.) laminar flow wing/mfg methods to coat and fill rivet sinks, b.) meridith effect to reduce drag (or achieve net thrust depending on which version you want, 3.) second order curve layout of cowl contours to achieve as close to minimum drag.

The Mustang features from day one - lowest drag in the industry until the P-80 and Me 262, longest range from day one (factor of wing fuel and drag) with exception of A6M which sacrificed too much in airframe size to grow with increased tactical mission

Those are my answers and I will stick to them. If I had to guess what Willy had it would be knowledge of Meridith effect as that was in the literature as a theory as early as 1935

That is an excellent summation of significant factors explaining the success of the Mustang. Unfortunately, it is not the answer.

You earn two more clues for the clue list and a restatement of the first:

It required over 30 years of development before it would be available for NAA.

The answer can be given with one sentence if necessary.

Think "outside the box".

Clues:

Use non-linear thinking.

It was something the genius of Willie Messerschmitt could not contribute.

Germany had it prior to WW2.

Fokker contributed to making it available.

Last edited:
The three innovative applications of science to airframe for the Mustang was 1.) laminar flow wing/mfg methods to coat and fill rivet sinks, b.) meridith effect to reduce drag (or achieve net thrust depending on which version you want, 3.) second order curve layout of cowl contours to achieve as close to minimum drag.

Getting away from the cryptic guessing games.

Can you elaborate on the use of flush riveting on the Mustang? Specifically this coating/filing of rivet sinks.

I was under the impression that that previous generation of US pursuit aircraft used flush skinning with sunken rivet heads.

The Japanese started using flush skinning on the Zero in 1940. I recently read an RAAF engineering assessment of the aircraft - a model 32 - and one off the points they were most impressed with compared to their Mk V spitfires was the flush riveting and smoothness of the aircraft skinning.

The rivets were countersunk flush and wings coated with zinc chromate (IIRC) then painted OD for early A/B/C and painted silver for NMF. At some time the process stopped and I am trying to research the timing.

The Germans were also impressed with the fit and finish of the captured Mustangs

Can you elaborate on the use of flush riveting on the Mustang? Specifically this coating/filing of rivet sinks.

I was under the impression that that previous generation of US pursuit aircraft used flush skinning with sunken rivet heads.

Hi Jabberwocky: I've read (and seen first hand in restored jobs) that the leading edge of the Mustang's wing was filled and sanded smooth, even in otherwise bare metal models. It's mentioned in various flight tests such as these:

P-51B-1-NA, AAF No. 43-12093, Preliminary high speed and climb performance tests
"Finish was filled and sanded and was supposed to be the standard production finish."

Mustang IV T.K.589 Position error of static vent and brief level speed trials
"The aircraft was not painted. The under surface of the wings back to the main spar and the whole of the top surface had been coated with a smooth composition, the joints being filled and the remainder being bare metal. The fuselage was left with the bare metal except for a matt anti-glare finish on the top engine cowling."

Did you ever see the Smithsonian's Spitfire VII? That thing is clean! The finish is filled and sanded and there is hardly a rivet to be seen.

Getting away from the cryptic guessing games.

The Japanese started using flush skinning on the Zero in 1940. I recently read an RAAF engineering assessment of the aircraft - a model 32 - and one off the points they were most impressed with compared to their Mk V spitfires was the flush riveting and smoothness of the aircraft skinning.

A riddle posting that resulted in members posting excellent information. Especially your post on something I had never known.

A member who would stops thinking in terms of graphs, charts, specifications, and service dates should be able to answer the riddle. I posted it for mutual amusement.

Last clue: It is what went into the P-51 immediately after the British consented to the first one being built.

Last edited:
Was typing 'drop tank', but it was not only applicable to P-51. That neat thing enabled it to go Berlin back in 1944.

I came up with either bullet proof windshield or self sealing fuel tanks. Although self sealing tanks seem to be a WWII development, it seems more important than bullet proof windshield. So, I'll say self sealing fuel tanks.

Back to the OP:
P-39 with DB-601/605 and some 30mm firing through prop hub (MK 108 for a dedicated fighter, MK 101/103 for an all-rounder). German 13mm replacing US MGs.
Or, perhaps 3-5 x MG-151/20 (providing 3 can fit between between cockpit and prop reduction gear)

I came up with either bullet proof windshield or self sealing fuel tanks. Although self sealing tanks seem to be a WWII development, it seems more important than bullet proof windshield. So, I'll say self sealing fuel tanks.

Look at the specs for the Bf109, I think you will find those items.

The answer is of the type you will all be slapping yourselves on the forehead, groaning about how simple it was. Remember, Willy Messerschmitt could not put his genius into it.

Back to the OP:
P-39 with DB-601/605 and some 30mm firing through prop hub (MK 108 for a dedicated fighter, MK 101/103 for an all-rounder). German 13mm replacing US MGs.
Or, perhaps 3-5 x MG-151/20 (providing 3 can fit between between cockpit and prop reduction gear)

Best answer yet about hardware. Ditch the unreliable, low ammo capacity 37mm, for the a German 30mm.

The ejector seat suggestion had nothing to do with your quiz.
Its something that the german aerospace industry had that allies could have done with. Besides the 109 didn't have such seats, Heinkel certainly did on at least three aircraft the 280, 219 and 162, plus sweden first issued a patent for one in 1941 but not Messerschmitt.

By the time Germans were mass producing 30mm cannons, US M4 37mm was reliable :)
Nevertheless, 'regular' 20-30mm stuff was better bet.

The ejector seat suggestion had nothing to do with your quiz.
Its something that the german aerospace industry had that allies could have done with. Besides the 109 didn't have such seats, Heinkel certainly did on at least three aircraft the 280, 219 and 162, plus sweden first issued a patent for one in 1941 but not Messerschmitt.

Sorry about the erroneous assumption. I read somewhere those German ejection seats were less than satisfactory.

No problem my posting was less than clear. The German seats were far from perfect but a lot better than nothing. My understanding is that they were used about 70 times during the war, and I am very confident that those who used them, loved them.

Initially the seats were powered by compressed air but were soon changed to cartridge powered. At least one fighter a He219, was hit in the compressed air tank and the resultant rupture of the tank forced a crashed landing.

By the time Germans were mass producing 30mm cannons, US M4 37mm was reliable :)
Nevertheless, 'regular' 20-30mm stuff was better bet.

Reliable as defined by what standard? Ammunition supply was still to low for the hit probabilities of air to air, and power was to low for anti-tank. The one thing the P-39 didn't need from the Axis or Allies was improvements to beauty, it was gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back