Aluminium Specifications (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Stressmerchant

Recruit
May 29, 2008
Hi all, first time poster. Apologies if this topic is a repeat.

I do a lot of work with DC-3 / C47 aircraft. The Structural Repair Manual (SRM) and manufacturing drawings specify alumimium (or aluminum for my American friends ;) ) grades such as 24ST. The modern equivalent of 24 is 2024, with the ST being replaced with a suffix such as -T3 or -T4.

I have my own informal table of equivalents, drawn up by comparison with properties. However, at some stage there must have been a technical document advising users of the equivalence between the specification nomenclatures. Does anyone know of such a document, probably a TO or something similar?

Advisory Circular AC.43.13 and the "Standard Aircraft Handbook." I think both books provide equivalents between the old designators, it is pretty straight forward. What exactly are you looking for?

Must have the wrong editions of those references, I don't see any comparison table.

As an example, what are the official modern equivalents for "24ST, Bar, to 4 in, cross gr" and "24ST Extruded shapes"?

Must have the wrong editions of those references, I don't see any comparison table.

As an example, what are the official modern equivalents for "24ST, Bar, to 4 in, cross gr" and "24ST Extruded shapes"?

24ST should be 2024 - as far as the temper (T3, T4) will depend on useage. Does this help?

Aluminum Tempers - Engineers Edge

Also see the attached document.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• fiigmatxref.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 3,452
Thanks for that. I use the Mil-Hdbk 5 or MMPDS to compare figures, but it occurs to be that at some point the US military would have issued a TO or similar document advising technical personnel of the equivalents between the different grades and treatments.

I guess they just handled it the same way we are doing now ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back