Am I the only one?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Binjo

Airman
Jan 18, 2009
Eugene OR
I'm finally drawing a bead on a bandit after some serious yankin' and bankin' only to have some random flight member swing outta left field to snipe the guy right out from under my nose...happens all the time. Worse yet is when I'm chasing down a straggler for ages, clawing for as much speed as I can muster to have some yahoo rocket out in front to snake the kill. Get off my kool aid!

Yeah, the mission gets done...but I know I can't be the only one that gets a little irked (despite the fact that I'm only fighting AI). Time to vent!

Don't even get me started on AI wingmen that sit back and watch my crate get perforated by the guy right in front of him...

The AI is a notorious kill stealer, and I am of the opinion that it's engine management is always 100% right, meaning they get to spots you just can't. The only thing you can really do is order your wingman to cover your six. He won't make a very good job of it, as you say, but it's one guy less to steal your kills!

Sounds about right for the game. Not only do you have to learn how to fly in this game, but you have to learn how to counter cheap AI. It's partly why I prefer playing online.

Oh yeah, I've had my target poached countless times by my friendlies (sometimes human ones too...)

It's almost funny to see a lone enemy survivor trying to make good thier escape, and there's dang near a dozen of your guys on thier 6...total traffic hazard! I avoid getting involved in that stuff, because there's always one idiot that'll run into you.

I'll typically use various commands to keep my guys busy and out of my stuff...

It's almost funny to see a lone enemy survivor trying to make good thier escape, and there's dang near a dozen of your guys on thier 6...total traffic hazard! I avoid getting involved in that stuff, because there's always one idiot that'll run into you.

I've been on both sides of that statement. Once in Pacific fighters I was in a Mk VIII with part of my tail blown off, trying to redline it back to the safety of my base with 6 Zeros and Ki-84s (I think that's it) on my tail. I could see them all in the mirror as one of them closed and finished me off just before I made it back.

There was another time when there were three or four of us in Mk VIIIs chasing a Zero and one guy hit me from below, then blamed me for running into him.

Despite that, I still prefer online because the computer cheats too much I think.

The kill vulching , perching, and other nonsense take away alot of the fun for sure. I only fly full switch servers because of it. The full switch servers are strict and tend to keep the yahoos and sharks away or honest. Zekes vs. Wildcats and Spits vs. 109's are pretty much all I like to fly anymore.

It's been ages since I've flown on a server...

Matter of fact, I've never flown IL-2 (any release) on a server. I got so tired of the BS/drama/hacks, etc in those places.

These days, I only fly multiplayer missions hosted with friends. We'll run either stock or custom missions versus enemy AI.

Nope

Still running bone-stock versions of the IL-2 series...

Give it a try. Even if you only use the AI-mod. Betters this sim million fold :)

Back to topic...did you guys know that very, very few planes(I think only the ME262) can keep up with the '38 in a 10-15 degree climb.

Since I've mastered the ACM, it is the only plane I fight in. High or low altitude, BnZ or TnB, if you master the '38 it is one of the best planes there is...and she is sooo pretty

edd

She' a beauty. I have gotten to know the F6F-5 and The Me 109 very well and am working on getting good in the Focke-Wulf.

It's a good idea to do like you do and get to know one aircraft very well.

Yeah, I have accumulated some serious stick time on and off line in the Hurricane MkI, to the point where my 'plodding' Hurri has little trouble dealing with 'superior' 109s :evil4: I am also reasonably good in the Spit Vb, although I could be better. My next challenge will have to be to master a twin I think, and improve my ground-pounding skills.

It's been ages since I've flown on a server...

Matter of fact, I've never flown IL-2 (any release) on a server. I got so tired of the BS/drama/hacks, etc in those places.

These days, I only fly multiplayer missions hosted with friends. We'll run either stock or custom missions versus enemy AI.
I have gotten spoiled to the point where I just like to have a human to compete against. The new Ai mod sounds interesting though. Do you guys use that?

We all run stock versions...no mods...

When I build a mission, I'll edit the AI pilot's skills to veteran, Ace or make a group have a veteran leading some average guys and perhaps a rookie or two.

I prefer to set my adversaries to a higher skill level, though. So in my missions, you'll run up against more veterans than anything. I try and keep as much realism as I can in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back