American photo-recon aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Convair240

Airman
Jul 11, 2011
I love photo-reconnaissance aircraft, and I would like to build (convert) some 1/72 scale kits of american PR aircraft. However, it is difficult to find certain information regarding some types such as the arrangement of the cameras on the airframe.

While information about american types such as the F-4/F-5 (photo-recon P-38 ) and F-6 (photo-recon P-51) are easy to find, drawings / photos on other types like the F-9 (photo-recon B-17) and even the F-3 (the photo-recon Douglas A-20) are rarely found.

Can anyone help? I can not find photos / drawings showing the exact position/shape of the "windows" for the F-3 (A-20) and F-9 (B-17) cameras.

Additional information (position of "photo-windows") of the F-2 (Beechcraft Expeditor), F-10 (B-25) and F-13 (B-29) are also very welcome.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Yeah, the Mosquito (F-8, in the photo-reconnaissance denomination) was a great aerial photo platform. But what about the forgotten F-3 and F-9? ;)

P-38.

p38F-5b.jpg
p38f-5g.jpg
p38F-5nosedetail.jpg
p-38f-5.jpg
p-38f-5-.jpg

Attachments

• p-38f-5.png
    p-38f-5.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 109
  • p-38f-5-.png
    p-38f-5-.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 117
Drawings.

Attachments

• p38F-5bnosedetail.jpg
    p38F-5bnosedetail.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 112
  • p38F-5enosedetail.jpg
    p38F-5enosedetail.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 128
  • p38F-5e-undernosedetail.jpg
    p38F-5e-undernosedetail.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 120
  • p38F-5fnosedetail.jpg
    p38F-5fnosedetail.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 102
  • p38F-5gnosedetail.jpg
    p38F-5gnosedetail.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 110
Found this for the F-9.

Boeing : F-9 : | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

A number of B-17s seemed to have been converted to F-9s, but where did they serve? I would imagine not in the ETO or the MTO, as they would be sitting ducks, and the RAF and USAAF were well served by PR Mossies and Spitfires, as well as F-4/F-5 Lightnings.

Was the P-51 also built in a PR version (the F-6)??

Well, large aircraft (B-17, B-24, B-29) were intended to cover long distances and/or high altitudes, thus where there was use for the "normal" bombers, there was use also for their respective photo-reconnaissance versions. And, as there were no bombs, only cameras, a PR bomber was lighter and faster, a not too easy prey.

Fantastic photo, Wuzak. I had never seen any good picture of a F-9, this is the first time! It was common that the cameras were located under the fuselage behind the bomb-bay or even in the area of ​​the bomb-bay doors (more or less as the F-7, the photo-recon B-24). It's a surprise to see that special fairing housing the cameras under the B-17 nose (the F-7 also had "undernose" cameras).

This site US Reconnaissance Aircraft has "rapid data" about some PR aircraft used by the U.S. (F-6 included).

Cheers!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back