An interesting comparism of split-S

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bbweiweiw

Recruit
Feb 1, 2008
I've seen an interesting "WWII Fighter Tactics Handbook" published by Army about 30 years ago,and here is a picture-comparative figures of fighters' split-S :

I was wondering it's only 1000 feet of A6M5 KI-43:shock: and I've seen that the P-47N have a split-s height of about 4000feet..anyone has more information?

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 152
The size and altitude loss of the split-S depends vastly on the entry speed of the manouver and the elevator effectiveness of the aircraft type.

The A6M was known to have a very effective elevator, at moderate speeds. However, much like its 'barn door' alierons, it was subject to much stiffening at high speeds. Its not directly comprable, but the Australian tests of various Zeros and Spitfire Mk Vs mention that the Zero could loop much better at low speed and low altitude, but the Spitfire could loop better at high speed and high altitude.

Its not a suprise that the Zero and Ki 43 Split S tighter than just about anything else, given the obsession by the Japanese with low speed manuverability of their fighter aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back