Another unknown Instrument Panel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gary Cain

Senior Airman
Nov 25, 2022
I'm 99% sure it is navy, possibly a Grumman F2F but I haven't been able to confirm it. Your help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 25
You will notice in the mystery panel and the Stearman panel that the second row of instruments are farther outboard than the lower instruments. In the J2F panel they are vertically above the lower row. The J2F has 6 instruments, the mystery panel and the Stearman panel have 7 instruments.

Attachments

• 123.png
    123.png
    339.3 KB · Views: 9
You will notice in the mystery panel and the Stearman panel that the second row of instruments are farther outboard than the lower instruments. In the J2F panel they are vertically above the lower row. The J2F has 6 instruments, the mystery panel and the Stearman panel have 7 instruments.
Hmmm, you make excellent points. The compass opening is clearly Navy. I don't know if Boeing made the Stearman with naval instrument.

Do you know if they did?

The N2S was the Navy equivalent of the PT-17. It was known colloquially as the "yellow peril." Seems entirely plausible that the N2S would have a Navy compass in the instrument panel.

My two cents here ... IMHO mjfur is absolutely right. That's the Stearman panel. I have made a collage of the three indicator panels to compare them. I took the rivet/screw points and other metal pieces into consideration because the number and shape/type of the indicators could change in time. In the pic below you may notice the same lauout of the rivets and pieces on the Stearman and the requested panel. Both panels have eleven of the same points while the panel of the OA-12, J2F-5/6 has two only. What is more the four-screw mount sets are at the different locations. So for sure that's the Stearman pilot's panel.

4.jpg

Wow- that's some serious and correct research! Well done!
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back