Any B-17 Experts Out There Willing to Help?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bob Schenk

Recruit
Feb 28, 2007
Need Info on Parts from B-17

I am a huge fan of the Memphis Belle B-17 and actually had dinner with Capt. Robert Morgan. I recently purhased a headset/throat mic set from the estate of an 8th AirForce B-17 pilot (or at least the story goes). Along with these items came two pieces -- one of which is listed as a bomb sight. Can the experts out there take a look at these photos and let me know exactly what I have? Thanks to all. Bob

eBay: B-17 Bomber Pilot Equipment Lot w/ Bomb Sight - WW2 US (item 130077365849 end time Feb-16-07 14:26:18 PST)

Bob,

I cannot see the pictures of your bombsight. The B-17 was equipped with the Nordon bombsight.....an extremely complex mechanical computer for that day and age. I think you would know if you had one or not. Here is a picture for reference. As far as I know, every B-17 made was equipped with the Norden bombsight.

250px-Bifnordennomenclature.jpg

Bob, that bombsight piece is the bracket that supports the telescope and prism assembly on the Sperry S-1 Bombsight. I was working on my S-1 sight today, and as I was looking at that assembly, I realized that I had seen a photo of that bracket before on this board. I'm positive that is the same piece. It's very far from being a complete sight itself, but it is nice artifact of a rather rare part of WW2 bombing history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back