Any good WWII books? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I read Hornfischer's Last Stand Of The Tin Can Sailors on Holiday, an excellent book. Also read Barrett Tillman's Clash of the Carriers about the Marianas Turkey Shoot and was very impressed. I am currently reading the Official US Army history of the Seizure of the Gilberts and Marshalls, and have a volume on the Marianas to read next. I am very impressed by what I have read so far, and would recommend any of the series on the merits of the volume I'm reading at the moment. I wish I had bought the other two volumes I saw in that shop in Durham NC (On Guadalcanal and Rabaul, IIRC), but sadly the weight of my suitcase was already becoming an issue :lol:8)

Though it's been mentioned already in this thread, I highly recommend "Beaufighters in the Night."

It's an amazing book, it really gives a feel for what night fighting was like.

"The Road Past Mandalay" by John Masters. Autobiographical, Burma and the Chindits and excellent.
Historical fiction, "Killing Rommel" by Pressfield. Gives a perspective about the North African campaign and the LRDG.

"Strong Men Armed" by Robert Leckie of HBO "Pacific fame.

Book was excellent, might have to read more of the something like 40 books he has written.

Also, "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" is a must read!

TO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back