Anybody ever use aluminum hvac tape or flite metal on a 1/48 model?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bad-Karma

Airman 1st Class
Aug 5, 2014
Rock Hill SC
Hi everyone,

I'm about to start a b17 and p51 project to hang up in my sons room. I've been looking at all of the NMF options and I was all set to try thin aluminum foil with foil glue but got to thinking. Would the thinnest available aluminum HVAC tape work just as well if not better? This would be similar to flite metal but I've only ever seen flite metal applied to larger RC aircraft. Any thoughts?

It should work OK, as it's basically the same stuff as supplied, in small sheets, as 'Bare Metal Foil'.
The only thing I'd say against it is, that overall, it might be too shiny for a realistic-looking B-17. However, used in conjunction with various tones of metallic paints, it should look good. The relatively new range of paints from AK Interactive look to be great for obtaining a realistic NMF, with various tones and degrees of 'shine' available.
Some of the members here use the tape for the exposed oleo legs on landing gear.

Yes, I've used it as described by Terry but not for large surfaces to simulate bare metal. I also agree that it's probably too shiny. You might find the glue to be very tacky and not easily adjusted once applied. If you have to remove it to adjust, it will likely get all kinked.

I have some after reading Airframes recommendation. I was using it more as masking foil for canopies. I have seen some models done in 1:48 and 1:32 that used aluminum foil over the entire model, but in each case they either painted over it or used the non shiny side out. That idea about using it for the oleo struts is fantastic. Those were always shiny! I am with Fubar, experiment on a scrap fuselage first or a single wing and see how it looks.

That idea about using it for the oleo struts is fantastic. .

I've been doing this for years. I use regular kitchen foil and an acrylic glue like Gator's Grip, though I bet any PVA type of glue would work just as well.

This must be from about 10 years ago.

IMG_4120_web_zps4o7qziah.gif

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have an old B17f kit sitting in the box from when I was a kid that I can prob use to test. I also have a spare GTO hood I can practice on. I don't really have an issue if it's too shiny since this will be hung up in my boy's room (might actually be better) but I'm curious why you guys think it would be too shiny to look realistic? Most of the pictures I've seen of the real deal look very shiny. At least fresh from the factory or a show plane like sentimental journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back