Anyone familiar with this weapons system? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BlackSheep

Banned
May 31, 2018
I was watching a YouTube video, "The Hunt for the Legendary U-Boat Ace | Last Secrets of the Third Reich | War Stories

At approximately, 17'20" what appears to be a B-24 configured for ASW makes an appearance and deploys what appears to be a depth charge rack that when needed extends out of the fuselage along a rack attached to the underside of the wing. I've never heard of this system, is anyone on the forum familiar with this device? I'm not much of a fan of the B-24 and have a lot of catching up to do on the ASW efforts in the Atlantic so I apologize if this is an oft-used device.

Lastly, I'm aware that the video doesn't necessarily portray exactly what is being discussed and am mainly interested in the system depicted and it's use.

The clip of the depth charges sliding out on the underside of the wing is actually a Short Sunderland. The video maker clearly just cropped together some entirely unrelated clips of a B-24 variant and a Sunderland.

Here's a pic of the Sunderland's sliding wing racks visible on a restored airframe at the RAF Museum, Hendon:

1662955802433.png

And a wartime view, courtesy of Wikipedia:

1662955852687.png

Last edited:
The clip of the depth charges sliding out on the underside of the wing is actually a Short Sunderland. The video maker clearly just cropped together some entirely unrelated clips of a B-24 variant and a Sunderland.

Here's a pic of the Sunderland's sliding wing racks visible on a restored airframe at the RAF Museum, Hendon:

View attachment 686536

And a wartime view, courtesy of Wikipedia:

View attachment 686537
Excellent! Thanks!

Some maritime B-24s did have a gun mount attached to the lower sides of the fuselage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back