Anyone from Belgium...or know the Belgian military? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

buffnut453

Captain
Jul 25, 2007
Utah, USA
I came across a military facility today that I believe is situated on the former site of Nivelles Aerodrome in Belgium (it's just east of the city proper). The signpost read "Quartier Cdt. Avi. DONY" and, just to add to the mystery, the area is pixelated out on GoogleEarth (see below):

1632499881819.png

Anyone out there know what the place is?

Most likely it is still an active Belgian military base and the Belgian military insisted that Google blur the image.

Jim (US Army, ret'd)

Yeah, it's a military facility. I'm assuming it's some kind of cadet training base, although some of the buildings seemed pretty substantial for that purpose. Just trying to work out what it might be.

Yeah, it's a military facility. I'm assuming it's some kind of cadet training base, although some of the buildings seemed pretty substantial for that purpose. Just trying to work out what it might be.
Not any single "Military" area can and would be blurred, It's more than a simple place. Might be a high command of Special Forces, or some kind of Special Facility. It has a long and very time consuming progress of getting some place blurred in Google map. It is not a person's job.

The Quartier Cdt. Avi. DONY is the current headquarters and home for the primary civil and military Belgian medical disaster units (5th Element for Medical Intervention and 5th Medical Supplies and Distribution Element), and home to a Bundeswehr medical depot. The Quartier (District or Neighborhood) is home to quasi-manufacturing facilities, storage facilities, and significant medical facilities - including a hospital/medical center that primarily treats the children of military personnel.

It is still a current(I think) integral unit of SHAPE (Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe).

The base is named after a former Captain-Commander of Aviation Jules Dony, back from when the local was a military airfield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back