Anyone here know anyone who owns one of the scale p-51s that use a..

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ryanjames17

Airman
Jul 26, 2018
Anyone know of or knowhatever anyone who owns one of the scale p51 that uses a small block Chevy V8? I'm rather curious on how those perfourm.. been dancing around the idea of building a nearly or full scale BF109 granted I know they at the least had 650hp but I'm not sure how much of that 650hp was needed for take off a cruse vs just making speed.

Anyone know of or knowhatever anyone who owns one of the scale p51 that uses a small block Chevy V8? I'm rather curious on how those perfourm.. been dancing around the idea of building a nearly or full scale BF109 granted I know they at the least had 650hp but I'm not sure how much of that 650hp was needed for take off a cruse vs just making speed.
I've seen at Reno when I worked the races a few years ago. Very cool but time and money like everything else.
Thunder Mustang

I seen a BF109E a guy made with a SBC in it that was stated as 1:1, I could buy it as it could be made under 4000lbs giving a SBC Evan iron block is a lot lighter then a Jumo or kestrel. Not to mention you would not need 5-8 gallons of oil aND coolant would be a lot less..

As for building.. that is the easy part my day job consists of building parts for large steel buildings.. money I figure would not be to bad as I don't think I could build it much faster then I could buy stuff to build it not to mention I have 2 engines kicking around.

Hard thing for me is finding plans and also the would a engine like that be enough to make it think about flying much less fly.

I know of 2 of these P-51s in the same hangar. I believe they have the engine you are inquiring about, but need to confirm. Both are owned and flown by ex-USAF and ex-airline pilots with lots of time.

We have a Spitfire like that nearby but I don't know the owner.

IMG_0177 reduced.jpg

My first suggestion would be an A&P school.....
Smirking a bit if you have the notion "I can build a steel Building, how could an aluminum plane be so difficult"...?
I think the V8's are a bit fiddley meeting FAA standards, dual plug, dual mags are the start, and props only spin at about 3000RPM, not the 9 or 10,000 of a souped up V8.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back