Are aircraft designed and if so, which is the best looking one?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ivanotter

Airman 1st Class
Jan 2, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Are military aircraft actually designed or do they just look the way they do because of the engineering department's requirements?

Is it by chance the F-4 and F-16 are "good looking"?

The designers of the A-10 definitely weren't too concerned about beauty.
I guess you could say cars are designed, aircraft are engineered.

My opinion as well. They just came to look the way because of engineering.

A10 is surely functional, but not in the "designed" category.

That said, I still the the X-32 is a joke design wise. It is an embarrassment and could be the reason for losing out (although F-35 is not exactly hot in the desing department either).

Will it change with the public getting more and more involved in these projects? Will the next generation a/c be designed to attract "votes" ?

If we start designing our fighter aircraft to be appealing to the public, then the men and women who work with them are in for a very rough time. Engineer the military aircraft to do their jobs. Leave the streamlining and "vote" catching for Lear and Cessna.

My opinion as well. They just came to look the way because of engineering.

A10 is surely functional, but not in the "designed" category.

That said, I still the the X-32 is a joke design wise. It is an embarrassment and could be the reason for losing out (although F-35 is not exactly hot in the desing department either).

Will it change with the public getting more and more involved in these projects? Will the next generation a/c be designed to attract "votes" ?

The 'public' is not a factor.

The mission specified by the contractor drives the design. The shape is defined by subsets (like 'Stealth' or 'Supersonic' or 'Heavy lift/Short field' or 'capacity = 100 fully loaded troopers or 2 M1A1 tanks or 2 AH-1 Cobras') of the Mission and Technical Specs.

The required aerodynamic and stability derivatives further define the external envelope,

Shame, really.

So, conclusion: It would be time to compliment the team behind the

F-16
F-4
F/A 18 (More so the Super Hornet)
...and of course Mitchell and his Spitfire

and "let the tires down" of the people behind
X-32 (OMG)

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can see it creeping in, though. The people making decisions are also human after all. If I were on the selection board and they came in with the X-32, I would still be laughing and maybe forget some of the finer details. It does detract if it is "ugly" (or a downright joke).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back