Argus AS-10 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a manual or anything useful on the Argus AS-10 ... or the 12-cylinder version?

I ask because we HAVE an Argus AS-10 that needs rebuilding. Once it gets done, we can fly our Storch!

We have a running 12-cylinder version (AS-410) in our Pilatus P-2 that sounds great and flies quite well. The AS-10 is just an 8-cylinder version of the AS-410 V-12.

Thanks!

- Greg

Last edited:
There's a report about the AS 410 with some detailed graphics in Luftfahrt International No 12. May still be available in the net.

The AS-410 is actually very different from the AS-10 in several ways: 1. The bore and stroke on the AS-10 are much larger than on the AS-410, which actually makes it have a larger displacement even though it has 4 fewer cylinders. 2. The AS-10 uses an inline valvetrain (the valves are all in a row), while the AS-410 uses a hemispherical head valvetrain. 3. The AS-410 uses a 60 degree bank angle while the AS-10 uses a 90 degree bank angle. I have a manual for the AS-411 which is just a more powerful version of the AS-410, but I'm not sure you'd want it due to all the differences that I mentioned.

Our AS-410 has 465 Hp and is an inverted V-12 of 729.2 cubic inches.
Our AS-10 has 240 HP and is an inverted V-8 of 772.9 cubic inches.

So the AS-410 displace a bit less, true, but spins at 3,100 rpm as opposed to the AS-10's 2,000 rpm. Since any internal combustion engine just an air pump, 1/3 more rpm trumps -~8% displacement in this case.

However, they share some parts as well as an almost identical design, making the AS-410 ... in my view ... a 12-cylinder version of the AS-10 design, albeit 10 years later. Same configuration and some interchangeable parts, and looking rmarkably alike. Not EXACTLY the the same except for cylinder layout, but darned close.

I'm not really wondering about the AS-410 as it is running just fine

I'm trying to get some data to help with the overhaul of the AS-10. Otherwise, it's overhaul by "discovery."

Last edited:
Fieseler Flugzeug Werke
Fi 156 Ersatzteil-Liste (replacement parts list)

Found in Flugzeug-Profile 34:
AS 10C.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe try contacting the Flying Heritage Collection as they have one, though I'm not sure if it has the original engine.

I was at the FHC only about 3 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it still has the original Argus AS-10 in it. All of the planes at the FHC have their original engines except for a Zero which has had the Sakae replaced with an R-1830. Another place for information could be Kermit Weeks. I know that he owns a Fi-156 and it also has the original engine. Also, for information on the AS-10, do you have a dataplate for it? I have a close up picture of one if you want it. It's in Czech rather than German, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Last edited:
The Technisches Museum Wien (Vienna Technical Museum) has an Argus As-10C, and the Deutsches Technisches Museum (German Technical Museum, Münich) has an Argus As-8 and sectioned AS-411A. Too dark now, but will digitally photograph my pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
The FHC Il-2 is flying behind a Joe Yancey Allison V-1710, left-hand turning engine. The only other application of left-hand Allisons is the P-38.

Cheers Greg. Sorry about the quality of the pics, the originals were taken with a manual camera in 1998/9. These are digital photographs of those pics.

Good luck with the project!

This may or may not help, but I figured that I might as well contribute it. It's in czech, but that's what translators are for. I know that the information is basic, but there's not a whole lot to be had on the internet.
2-argus-as-10-p.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back