Arras, 1917.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bf109_g

Senior Airman
Aug 11, 2006
New Zealand
Hi guys. :)

Just wondering if any of could help me find information regarding the Battle Of
Arras, 9 April to 16 May 1917? I am currently looking to see if the Sutherland Highlanders fought in this campaign.

Thanks.

James.

Thanks for your help, Rog. :)

To be specific, I'm looking for the regular battalions the Arygle Sutherland Highlanders had within their ranks during the Battle of Arras.

Chasing them around that site it seems 1 AS&H were in 81 Bde, 27th Div in Macedonia at the time of Arras.

2 AS&H were part of 98 Bde, 33rd Div attached to VII Corps (3rd Army) and took part in the Second Battle of the Scarpe (23rd - 24th April 1917) which was one part of the wider battle of Arras

3 4 AS&H were reserve extra reserve respectively originally 'militia' but training providing replacements for 1 2 as well as Home Defence.

5th - 9th AS&H were Territorials (the 1/5th, 2/5th denotes 'lines' ie 1/5th is first line, 2/5th and 3/5th were 2nd 3rd line and provided training replacements for the first line TF battalions

10th - 13th were 'new army' Bns the 'K' number giving the blocks of volunteering - 'K1' being the first 100,000 to volunteer under the 'Kitchener' scheme. 13th were the reserve formation for the other 3

14th was new army too but presumably an amalgamation of spare troops from 10-13th or may have been 'A4' boys - ie old enough for the army on volunteering but not old enough for overseas service

15th was the reserve bn for 10-13

16th was formed from 'provisional' Bn troops - previously medically unfit or TF soldiers who had refused overseas service (recovered/medical standards changed or that right of refusal removed once conscription was introduced). Not 'new army' as wiki has it but TF

17th only existed 3 weeks - possibly as it couldn't find full numbers or 14th (where its troops were sent) had taken heavy casualties

So the answer is 2 AH&H :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry it's such a smart **** answer, you either knew all this or could figure it out; I just got into working through it and typed away

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back