AviaQuiz

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007
If mods/admin approve, I would like to start a thread for players of AviaQuiz or anyone interested in aircraft identification. There's a few of us out there.

Similar to our Aircraft Identification V thread, but with the big difference that no one really knows the answer until 72 hrs have expired…

…but, if anyone can trace the obscure photos source, or can identify the aircraft immediately, then the idea is to SHARE the answer with us. The latest compiler and others before him tend to extract the photos from…

Airliners.net | Airplanes - Aviation - Aircraft - Aircraft Photos News

So if you're a John Nash like cryptographer, then it's to our advantage.

Hopefully it will promote discussion, knowledge, draw more members or onlookers to the forum and be fun?

The latest offering is this. If you look at the site, please note the clock…

AviaQuiz - Name That Plane!

At the moment, all I can offer is that it could be a twin-finned Lockheed or Beech.

Just a guess, but maybe Lockheed Electra/Electra Jr. Or maybe a Lodestar.

Possibly Beechcraft Model 18.

Due to the Fusalage shape, tail, and windows I'm really leaning tward the Beechcraft.

particularly with this pic:

Beechcraft_UC-45F_00910460_118.jpg

Thanks Kool!

I forgot to inform you that if you look at the AviaQuiz site, they provide a 'clue' by telling you if they require manufacturer, designation and name. In this case, they're asking for manufacturer and designation, so the Beech Model 18 fits the description, as opposed to say a Lockheed product, like Electra, Hudson, etc.

Their new piccy is confusing me because they ask for manufacturer, designation and name, but to me it is obviously a BAC One Eleven, so what name?

getimage.jpg

Just a guess, but maybe Lockheed Electra/Electra Jr. Or maybe a Lodestar.

Possibly Beechcraft Model 18.

Due to the Fusalage shape, tail, and windows I'm really leaning tward the Beechcraft.

particularly with this pic:

Beechcraft_UC-45F_00910460_118.jpg

My first reaction also, but the C-45/Beech 18 had 'square' windows and the entry door was on Left side. The first pic shows the aft door on right and circular windows....

The Ventura/Hudson had crew door on left side also so I am stumped for the moment.

Almost positive it's the Model 18 now.

Nicely done Kool! A Beech 18. I wasted a lot of time searching for the actual photo. Airliners.net have a search engine which incorporates the aircraft stance. From the snippet they provided which, to me, included a background tree 'below' the aircraft I deduced that it must be an air-to-air shot.

However, it was firmly on the ground...

AviaQuiz - Name That Plane! Quizs' Archive

Their new piccy is confusing me because they ask for manufacturer, designation and name, but to me it is obviously a BAC One Eleven, so what name?

getimage.jpg

Hi Waynos,

I'm pretty useless when it comes to modern aircraft, so I think you've done well to 'narrow' it to a BAC-111.

I've had a quick look and found that only the early versions have this 'belly', and one port door. The 500 series lose the belly and have two doors.

Surely they're not asking for the series, are they?

Manufacturer - BAC
Designation - Series 400
Name - ONE-ELEVEN

In the instructions on the site it seems to make a point of saying that they are not that specific, which is why this has confused me. Generally, to say 'BAC One Eleven' would be enough. BTW, I remember reading in a BAC book that the name should always be written in full and never ever in numerals, hence 'One Eleven'.

Surely they don't mean 'BAC 111 One Eleven'?

edit to add; 'BAC 111 One Eleven' is exactly how the type is listed on Airliners.net so maybe this is the mistake they are making after all (well, a mistake according to BAC anyway)

Maybe not a BAC One-Eleven then?

Another thought - No photo of a BAC, that I have seen, has large sections without passenger windows, as can be seen in this photo.

Are we looking at a large corporate jet?

No, it definitely is a One Eleven. No question of a shadow of a doubt, as they say. The upward curvature of the inner leading edge towards the fuselage is a unique design feature, not to mention the undercarriage and the wing fence - as recognisable to me as a wing on a Spitfire. I just think they are using the ID exactly as Airliners.net use it. Not unreasonable as they are a very good source - they just haven't been instructed by Sir George Edwards what the plane is really called :)

Look what I've found :)

dfghj.jpg

Not only a BAC One Eleven with large gaps in the glazing but, I believe, the same One Eleven.

The upward curvature of the inner leading edge towards the fuselage is a unique design feature, not to mention the undercarriage and the wing fence - as recognisable to me as a wing on a Spitfire.

Damn! you've got an eye for detail Waynos! Never noticed the 'curvature' until you pointed it out. Did you work for BAC?

I just think they are using the ID exactly as Airliners.net use it. Not unreasonable as they are a very good source - they just haven't been instructed by Sir George Edwards what the plane is really called :)

Makes sense, especially considering AviaQuiz are even having trouble with the word Designation on their site...

"Looking For: Manufacturer, Destignation, and Name."​

Just saw your photo - well done! Got a web page for it?

Damn! you've got an eye for detail Waynos! Never noticed the 'curvature' until you pointed it out. Did you work for BAC?

No, just been looking too closely at planes for 40 years :)

Makes sense, especially considering AviaQuiz are even having trouble with the word Designation on their site...

"Looking For: Manufacturer, Destignation, and Name."​

Just saw your photo - well done! Got a web page for it?

He he, I noticed that too. Yes, the plane is here;

Aviation Photos: BAC 111 One-Eleven British Aerospace BAC-111 One-Eleven Bucuresti Rombac 1-11 One-Eleven

(3rd from bottom)

If the link doesn't work, I found it on Airliners.net searching for the One Eleven from their own search menu, the pic appeared on page 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back