Avro Lincoln as testbed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

carson1934

Senior Airman
Feb 20, 2009
Arezzo, Italy
For a serious research that is being conducted, I ask for your indulgence and beseech you to supply pictures/images of the following Avro Lincoln's used as testbed for turboprops:

- S/N RF403 with 2 Armostrong Siddeley Python
- S/N RE339/G also as above
- S/N SX972 as above and also with 2 turboprops Bristol Proteus
- S/N RA716/G with 2 turboprops Bristol Theseus
-S/N RE530 (or 533?) with 1 additional turboprop Napier Naiad
- S/N G-37-1 with 1 additional turboprop Rolls Royce Tyne

The scope of this research is to find out whether any of the a.m. aircrafts was fitted with contra-rotating props.
Your attention to the above is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance to whoever wants to contribute.
carson1934

Not on your list but here is a picture with RE418's warming up from the warpaint series book on the Avro lincoln

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 700
Not on your list but here is a picture with RE418's warming up from the warpaint series book on the Avro lincoln

Thanks very much Micdrow for your assistance which we all appreciate.
We are still missing:
- RE/339/G
- SX/972
- RA/716/G
- RE/530 (or 533?)
it would be absolutely wonderful if you could get us some of those.
Thanks again
carson1934

So other photoes of test bed Lincolns,
from mentioned book Avro Lincoln, Warpaint Series #34
and from The Lancaster, Manchester and Lincoln,Modellers datafile, SAM Publications. In this book are drawings too.

Attachments

• fromWarpaint.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 289
  • fromSAM.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 181
So other photoes of test bed Lincolns,
from mentioned book Avro Lincoln, Warpaint Series #34
and from The Lancaster, Manchester and Lincoln,Modellers datafile, SAM Publications. In this book are drawings too.

Dear Tzaw1,
thanks very much for the most interesting and rare pics and for the efforts you have exerted in obtaining them. I bet many of our fellow forum members have never seen anything like that!
However the only picture that is eligible for my list of contra-props is the Avro Lincoln RE339Gof 1951 with Armstrong Siddeley Pythons turboprops in the outer nacelles driving contra-rotating props.
(Besides the SX973 of course).
Nice job, great pics...
carson1934:thumbright::thumbright:

Dear Tzaw1,
thanks very much for the most interesting and rare pics and for the efforts you have exerted in obtaining them. I bet many of our fellow forum members have never seen anything like that!
However the only picture that is eligible for my list of contra-props is the Avro Lincoln RE339Gof 1951 with Armstrong Siddeley Pythons turboprops in the outer nacelles driving contra-rotating props.
(Besides the SX973 of course).
Nice job, great pics...
carson1934:thumbright::thumbright:

As an addition to my a.m. post I am attaching a very nice picture of the Avro Lincoln SX972 which I just found googling around. Although this aircraft has no contra-rotating props you can see most clearly the two turboprops in the outer nacelles. I don't know however whether they are Bristol Proteus or A.S. Python.
Cheers
carson1934

Attachments

• Avro Lincoln SX972.jpg
    Avro Lincoln SX972.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 321
As an addition to my a.m. post I am attaching a very nice picture of the Avro Lincoln SX972 which I just found googling around. Although this aircraft has no contra-rotating props you can see most clearly the two turboprops in the outer nacelles. I don't know however whether they are Bristol Proteus or A.S. Python.
Cheers
carson1934

Of the 2 engine types I rather suspect the Bristol Proteus is installed as it was a bigger engine and needed that generous nacelle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back