B-17 Air Tanker

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oliverlovesplanes

Airman 1st Class
130
214
Mar 9, 2026
1777999883630.png
 
In 1982 I needed to do one more long cross country in order to complete the requirements for a Private Pilot License. I chose to fly from Torrence CA to Lompoc CA to Porterville CA. When I arrived at Porterville I noted a B-17 air tanker parked near the South end of the runway and felt sorry I would not be there long enough to look at it. But after I cranked up and taxied down to the runway I realized the B-17's engines were running. It pulled out onto the runway and took off, as I cheered. Being No.2 for takeoff behind a B-17 provided unexpected excitement.

In the 1980's the USAF began providing some surplus older model C-130's for forest fire bombing, trading the Hercs for B-17's and other vintage aircraft that could be donated to museums. I think that program took a big hit in credibility when one of the supposed forest fire C-130s showed up in Iraq shortly before Desert Storm.
 
One summer evening in central Alaska (1991-93 not sure of the year) I heard a sound and felt vibration unlike anything I'd ever experienced before. As the roar and vibration grew, I went outside in time to witness a PB4Y2 water bomber fly directly (<1000') over the housing area on Ft. Greely to drop on a fire about 20 miles away. I remember thinking to myself that I'd probably not see anything like that again. I believe the aircraft I saw may have been this one:
consolidated-pb4y-2-privateer-2-600x400-1-qjj1hm89ywscozk24dxc3w51mtubmpzy9w72tnh7go.jpg

https://yanksair.org/exhibition/consolidated-pb4y-2-privateer/
 
One summer evening in central Alaska (1991-93 not sure of the year) I heard a sound and felt vibration unlike anything I'd ever experienced before. As the roar and vibration grew, I went outside in time to witness a PB4Y2 water bomber fly directly (<1000') over the housing area on Ft. Greely to drop on a fire about 20 miles away. I remember thinking to myself that I'd probably not see anything like that again. I believe the aircraft I saw may have been this one:
View attachment 877771
https://yanksair.org/exhibition/consolidated-pb4y-2-privateer/
It could also be this one
 
It could also be this one
Unfortunately no. The one I saw (and felt) was painted just like #124 above, with the same blunt nose configuration. Several months later, I saw this plane sitting on the flight line with several other U.S. National Forest Service fire bombers and command planes outside a hanger at the Ft. Wainwright (formerly Ladd Army Airfield) flightline (Fairbanks, AK).I heard a few years later that all of the PB4Y-2s had been grounded due to structural issues.
 
One summer evening in central Alaska (1991-93 not sure of the year) I heard a sound and felt vibration unlike anything I'd ever experienced before. As the roar and vibration grew, I went outside in time to witness a PB4Y2 water bomber fly directly (<1000') over the housing area on Ft. Greely to drop on a fire about 20 miles away. I remember thinking to myself that I'd probably not see anything like that again. I believe the aircraft I saw may have been this one:
View attachment 877771
Awesome! I dunno if the operator had several of them, but the paint job matches the one I saw several times at YYC :)
 
Look at those engines. I understand that a frequent mod for PB4Y forest fire bombers was to replace the four R-1830 with four R-2600 engines and cowlings from B-25's. The USAF continued to use the B-25 as a trainer and hack transport until at least the late 1950's so there was some kinds of logistics support system available along with surplus material.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back