B-17 Crashes in Ilinois (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A very sad thing to have happened indeed! I've only seen a B-17 twice (in 1995 as young lad I think 'Sally B' might have done medium altitude fly-by's over all the cities where major festivities were organized for the 50th anniversary of Liberation Day, and last year on an Airshow nearby) But boy....was that a sight to see. What can I say, when four big radials make the ground rumble something good is happening.

Very glad the crew got out alright, but it must be heart breaking for all the good folks (flying and ground-crew alike) to see all their passionate hard work go to waste like this.

Not sure if I'd say their hard work "went to waste"...the plane got the crew down safely (not saying anything against the skills of the flight crew, but a top-notch crew is only as good as the bird they're riding). Makes ya think, though....if Bob, back at base, had decided to not tighten that bolt all the way and knocked off a little early to go meet his girlfriend, the story might be totally different. I think the Belle gave all she had, and put up a good fight to the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back