B-17 Crashes in Ilinois

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I saw Liberty Bell in Des Moines several years ago. Very sad to hear about it's demise. I am very happy there were no fatalities.

She's done...not much left to salvage, really :(

Great, this new photo uploader is a total pain in the a**...didn't mean to upload the inflight shot...I'll fix the dang thing when I get home from work...

Actually, you know what guys, I think I'll leave that shot up of the 'Belle passing the Golden Gate, because that's the way we should remember her...a magnificent machine that survived against the odds and aged gracefully :thumbleft:

Attachments

• b17-liberty-belle-640.jpg
    b17-liberty-belle-640.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 73
  • LibertyBelle_down.jpg
    LibertyBelle_down.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
One of the so called "witnesses" said an engine caught fire in flight, but if you look at the photo posted by GG, (post #30) none of the engines are burned.

So much for eye witness accounts.....

Charles

Last edited:
Supposedly the a/c had been grounded the day before because of a fuel leak in a tank. Was fixed with epoxy. Bet the epoxy let go and the leaking fuel ignited.

Man, I sure am glad everyone is safe. The pilot obviously needed to get the thing onto the ground as quickly as possible.

Sad to see her burn like that. :(

EDIT: Thinking about it, I remember now taking some video of an engine startup and a take off when it was in the Twin Cities some time ago. I'll try and get them posted when I get the time. pretty busy right now with family issues.

Last edited:
One of the so called "witnesses" said an engine caught fire in flight, but if you look at the photo posted by GG, (post #30) none of the engines are burned.

So much for eye witness accounts.....

Charles
What I heard, was that the skipper had to shut down the engine (seen by the feathered prop on engine #3) and then fire was reported onboard (seen in P-40's post #34).

He made the right decision to set it down instead of trying to make it back to Aurora Muni, that right there most likely saved everyone aboard. A B-17 can handle an engine failure, but not fire :(

One of my darlings has gone...I got tears in my eyes. Right now I´m having Americans on visit here. Their grandpa bailed out over my born town from a burning B-17G.
I was aboard of that plane in 2008 at Duxford. I got no words anymore...
It´s like loosing one of my best friends...

Looking at P-40K's post. it looks like that fire broke out soon after takeoff. The gear doesn't look quite retracted all the way yet. There's way too much gear exposed. Looks like it happened really really fast.

Once again, I'm really glad the pilot got it on the ground and everyone aboard and on the ground are unhurt,. But boy, as you can tell from my name and avatar, I find this really really sad.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back