B-17 G 1:48 scale, 351st Bomb Group, 510th Squadron, AC# 43-37862, Fearless Fosdick

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One of the hardest things I was trying to figure out was how to get the nice diamond pattern insulation found on bombers of this time. As it happens, I was putting away the remnants of the New Years celebration and I noticed the foil I removed from a couple of the bottles had a nice miniature diamond pattern pressed into it. So I figured why not? Sprayed it with primer and cut a piece to fit the new wall I installed. What do you guys think? If it looks good enough, I just might install it in the front section.

Last edited:
Yes, but due to the angle of the light in that pic, it looks slightly darker than it actually is. Also, I'm guessing that's a current restoration, so possibly not the 'vintage' colour, which was a lighter sage green.
The pic below shows the quilt in a B-25. Due to the use of flash, on a small 35mm compact camera, the quilt colour has come out lighter than it actually was - aim for something in between your pic and this pic.

A quick question Terry, was this a material that was one color for all or different for different aircraft?
I've been trying to find other examples of this but have not been successful. Too bad Bill is not around to ask.

Thanks for the help.

From what I've seen over the years, including in active aircraft back in the early 1960s (Dakotas, Beech, DC-4 and DC-6 etc), and in Museum aircraft preserved in original condition, the quilting was more or less the same colour in all aircraft types, even in some RAF aircraft in the 1970s ( Wessex and Whirlwind helicopters, for example)
It ranged from the light colour shown in the pics I posted of the B-25, to a very slightly darker shade (not much darker), close to the colour used in WW2 British aircraft, Cockpit Grey Green.
I'm guessing it was a 'standard' material, outsourced from the same manufacturer, or small number of manufacturers.

I agree. Just aim for a grey-green, light to medium shade.
The pic that Andy posted above is about average for the colour. I think they are probably both the same shade, with the lower section looking different due to the light angles, but either way, something like that would be fine.

Just an alternative point of view, but many original documents called for the quilted soundproofing to be Dull Dark Green - this to reduce reflection on instruments. However, the dyed cloth quickly faded. The quilting in the Flak Bait cockpit was a pale, washed out green, but the snap buttons were still Dull Dark Green, suggesting the cloth was originally dyed as spec'd. The darker green was a viable option.

Cheers,

Dana

Went over the oxygen bottles lightly with 600 grit sandpaper to knock down any major ridges or deformities. Light spray of yellow gloss and inspection for missed deformities. Another light sanding and now the longitudinal lines look about scale. Next time I'll go for final spray of yellow and let dry awhile before adding the metal bands and end connectors.

Also painted the foil a dark green before a light dry brush of yellowish green with a hint of gray.

Users who are viewing this thread