B-17 Parts found at local airbase

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another part found on the airbase a few months ago but hadn't cleaned it up so hear it is. Sure it is a instrument mounting bracket but maybe from the number found on it somebody can tell me from what part of the plane it came from and confirm it was from a B-17. Part number on it is 9-9548B. There is also another B on the bottom seen in picture 1. Part has definitely been through the wars literally.

Look forward to any info

IMG_3323.JPG
IMG_3322.JPG
IMG_3326.JPG
IMG_3324.JPG
IMG_3325.JPG

Wow or could this somehow be from a ME109 or FW190 ???????

ME109 Propeller Pitch indicator

Last edited:
That is actually the instrument case and the basic shape fits any of a hundred gauges. Can you please measure several dimensions as that will help narrow the field considerably
  • On the front what is the diameter of the flange just inside the mounting screws?
  • and the distance centre to centre of the mounting screw holes (slip a close fitting drill in each hole and measure the distance between them and add one drill diameter)
  • On the back what is the diameter of the thread (and number of teeth per inch AND the distance between the tops of threads - I suggest measuring ten threads and divide be ten)?
From those we can tell if it is a metric or US gauge.

It would be nice if it was the Me109 case - it would appear to be a good chance

Typically many gauges found on the B-17 are similar to your photo though usually with visual differences - not all had captive nuts like this example which has only two screws to retain the internals and has a metal connector thread that is integral with the internals. This one, like many American gauges, was designed to fit a 2 1/4 hole in the panel.
1669949539112.png

Last edited:
That is actually the instrument case and the basic shape fits any of a hundred gauges. Can you please measure several dimensions as that will help narrow the field considerably
  • On the front what is the diameter of the flange just inside the mounting screws?
  • and the distance centre to centre of the mounting screw holes (slip a close fitting drill in each hole and measure the distance between them and add one drill diameter)
  • On the back what is the diameter of the thread (and number of teeth per inch AND the distance between the tops of threads - I suggest measuring ten threads and divide be ten)?
From those we can tell if it is a metric or US gauge.

It would be nice if it was the Me109 case - it would appear to be a good chance

Typically many gauges found on the B-17 are similar to your photo though usually with visual differences - not all had captive nuts like this example which has only two screws to retain the internals and has a metal connector thread that is integral with the internals. This one, like many American gauges, was designed to fit a 2 1/4 hole in the panel.
View attachment 696888
Hi MiTasol and thanks again for your input much appreciated. I will do all the tests you suggest in the coming days - just been diagnosed with Covid and feel awful. Main reason for thinking it was a Luftwaffe one was the actual model number which is the same in the pictures of the German one. Is this a standard gauge mounts number??

Hi MiTasol and thanks again for your input much appreciated. I will do all the tests you suggest in the coming days - just been diagnosed with Covid and feel awful. Main reason for thinking it was a Luftwaffe one was the actual model number which is the same in the pictures of the German one. Is this a standard gauge mounts number??

No it is not and therefore VERY strongly suggests it is the Me109 gauge, as does the integral thread. Essentially only need the data to eliminate B-17 instruments.

No it is not and therefore VERY strongly suggests it is the Me109 gauge, as does the integral thread. Essentially only need the data to eliminate B-17 instruments.
I haven't done it one hundred percent accurately but the best I could and I know it should be pretty close - here is a picture with the details on

Let me know your thoughts

Dial-Stats.gif

Found this article today online and this is really similar in every way and this was from Rudolf Hess's down plane in the UK

Rudolph Hess's Down plane

Last edited:
Been sitting going through the B-17 manuals I found online and think I have identified another possible part from a B-17. The part is 18cm in diameter but in terrible condition from it time spent under a hedgerow. I think I have identified this correctly as a Blade Gear Segment from the propeller section.

Blade-Gear-Segment.gif

IMG_3320.JPG

Any B-17 experts please let me know that I have identified this part correctly

Been sitting going through the B-17 manuals I found online and think I have identified another possible part from a B-17. The part is 18cm in diameter but in terrible condition from it time spent under a hedgerow. I think I have identified this correctly as a Blade Gear Segment from the propeller section.

View attachment 697215

View attachment 697216
Any B-17 experts please let me know that I have identified this part correctly
that certainly looks like a Hamilton Standard 23E50 series gear segment to me.

I haven't done it one hundred percent accurately but the best I could and I know it should be pretty close - here is a picture with the details on

Let me know your thoughts

View attachment 697204

Found this article today online and this is really similar in every way and this was from Rudolf Hess's down plane in the UK

Rudolph Hess's Down plane

That 2.283" measurement rules it out as a US instrument as it will not fit in a 2.25" diameter hole.
The A and B in the top left corner of the third photo mean that, to me, you have correctly identified the unit as that Hess gauge has the same lettering and same screw hole pattern on the rear

1670185600513.png

Congratulations on a good find an excellent research.

that certainly looks like a Hamilton Standard 23E50 series gear segment to me.
Thanks MiTasol thats great - be able to build a rusty B17 in the back garden in a few years - haha
And thanks on the mount research - its wonderful when you manage to identify an individual part from a bit of a old rusty metal and cast light on something that there is most often so little info about on the internet. Atleast now with people like yourself and these wonderful forums we are piecing together more info about all those wonderful men and women and what they went through. Hopefully future generations will appreciate it.

Hi Guy's

Sorry been quiet for a while but after the recent floods some more items have popped up.

Firstly Happy New Year (2024) to everyone.

Found this small item and would love to know what it is from on a B17?? Approx 3cm and the hole has a thread in it not clearly seen in the photo.

Unknown4.gif

Was very lucky to also find this Flight Officers Shoulder Pin

Flight-Office-Badge.gif

Look forward to any info.

Last edited:
Two other great finds from a B-17 are these. Also not a clue what they are but my thinking was parts for the flaps or something similar but maybe they are to small - the first one does have a number on it which is 1835. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Unknown5.gif

Unknown5-1.gif

Unknown6.gif

Unknown6-1.gif

Unknown6-2.gif

Two other great finds from a B-17 are these. Also not a clue what they are but my thinking was parts for the flaps or something similar but maybe they are to small - the first one does have a number on it which is 1835. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 756077

View attachment 756078

View attachment 756079

View attachment 756080

View attachment 756081
Definitely looks like an actuator of some sort.

View attachment 756077

View attachment 756078

View attachment 756079

View attachment 756080

View attachment 756081

My initial guess would be possibly turret controller or computing gun sight for the upper or lower turrets. Very few areas of the B-17 would have precise machining like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back