B-17G - Airfix 1:72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hal bregg

Senior Airman
Oct 13, 2013
Poland
Hello!

On March 15, 1945, after Berlin area air raid, this B-17 have made an emergency landing near city Kielce in Poland.
Soviets sent the crew back to base, machine was abandoned, and dismantled.

Unit: 96 SQ/2 BG/15 AF
Base: Amendola Air Base, Italy
Commander: Philip Good
Crew: Powers, Schlau, Koepp, Kirst, Nichols, Janas, Roll, Tarby, Getinich.

Model:

New Airfix kit is overall good, but I have made some improvements- resin wheels, engines, turbochargers and machine guns.
Decals: a mix of Airfix, Techmod and Print Scale.
Paint: Alclad ALC-105 "Polished Aluminium".

2VNFd7t.jpg

jjptWEg.jpg

98lfYIV.jpg

TRLvVyR.jpg

hhKNlU8.jpg

DMJhA4W.jpg

RIhwgPq.jpg

B4TU1GA.jpg

jnzULuk.jpg

EFynUhq.jpg

6xyJfm8.jpg

wDOrstc.jpg

qXLZ6mD.jpg

TzZsx7e.jpg

yVK3H5x.jpg

q80WY9Z.jpg

kQbgLPs.jpg

1fx8fVz.jpg

4kKw3aR.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite bomber !! (I have one in 1/48 waiting its turn and will be metallized ...)

You have achieved a very clean and quality work.
The photographs are excellent and the reference with the real images, invite to revive its history.

Saludos. :thumbup:
Luis Carlos

Thanks, Luis.
Yes. History...That inspired me to make a model of this B-17 (through very many possible paintings).
Poland destroyed by war, just liberated from Nazis, (by Soviet army, khm...), and a not so well known in this area huge silver plane....
Beside that city Kielce is where I was born.

Beautiful finish on that B-17. However, the photos show up a bit bluish and dark on my uncalibrated monitor here at work.

Not sure if they look any better but these two were auto-corrected in Photoshop Elements.
2VNFd7t.jpg

RIhwgPq.jpg

Thanks, Luis.
Yes. History...That inspired me to make a model of this B-17 (through very many possible paintings).
Poland destroyed by war, just liberated from Nazis, (by Soviet army, khm...), and a not so well known in this area huge silver plane....
Beside that city Kielce is where I was born.

The history has several histories like that.
It´s very admirable for me to know such stories and even more to enjoy scale models, created by people who had to do with the version chosen, the relationship with a relative or people acquaintance, some personal experience or anecdote.
All are interesting stories.

Saludos :thumbup:

Wow, JKim!, yours B-17 is much better than mine. What paint did You used?.
Now seriously: I like photography, but I am not too much in photographic programs. Shame, someday maybe ...

Sancer: thanks, 3xYES, Saludos! (Pozdrowienia!).

Wow, JKim!, yours B-17 is much better than mine. What paint did You used?.
Now seriously: I like photography, but I am not too much in photographic programs. Shame, someday maybe ...

I understand completely! If it doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother me!

Good job on the pics.
Photographing 'polished metal' objects is always tricky and, unlike other 'reflective' surfaces, the use of a pola filter doesn't help. Indirect and / or diffused lighting can sometimes be a benefit, but it's still a tricky subject - well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back