B-2 Crash!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dave, if what you say is true..... then the software engineers should have been executed for gross negligence.

Certain critical functions whether in a aircraft, ship, refinery, hospital, etc should never ever be allowed to shutdown on account of the processor declaring itself "sick".

A correctly designed system would have allowed the flight critical systems to operate in a "dumb mode" while the main computer and its backup decides wtf to do.

And yes Dave, I do have a background in hi reliability systems.

So, what's the going pay scale for software engineeres who put their lfe on the line for an error?

Latest comment. Team is back, they know what the problem was. They don't know why.

I have not heard anything about whether the B-2s are grounded and I won't ask.

There is a claim that there was a sensor problem, which is confusing since the entire air data system is a voted quad-redundant system. But, just about any cause would be confusing. Here are some pictures that break my heart.

Attachments

• B-2GUAMMar200803.jpg
    B-2GUAMMar200803.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 67
  • B-2GUAMMar200808.jpg
    B-2GUAMMar200808.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 85
  • B-2GUAMMar200810.jpg
    B-2GUAMMar200810.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 72
  • B-2GUAMMar200811.jpg
    B-2GUAMMar200811.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 91
I know the wings were "all plastic" as we used to say.

My limited understanding of stealth materials indicates the wings are made from carbon fibers in a thermoset resin matrix; this composite material is, pound for pound, extremely strong for it's weight, resistant to damage, and transparent to electromagnetic energy. Work is also being done on thermoplastic resin matrices, in which the material can be heated and reset to shape, unlike thermoset resins which, as the name indicates, once formed, cannot be "unformed".

My limited understanding of stealth materials indicates the wings are made from carbon fibers in a thermoset resin matrix; this composite material is, pound for pound, extremely strong for it's weight, resistant to damage, and transparent to electromagnetic energy. Work is also being done on thermoplastic resin matrices, in which the material can be heated and reset to shape, unlike thermoset resins which, as the name indicates, once formed, cannot be "unformed".
You just about have it - from what I remember there was no aluminum sub structure in the wings - all carbon fiber. The only metal in the wings were the hi-loks holding everything together, internal plumbing and boost pumps, and of course the hardware to support all that.

An inappropriate comment by anyone who loves aircraft. There are more B-17s in existence than there are B-2s. The B-2 is a war bird that has been engaged in three conflagrations and some day, I would suspect, it will be more valuable as a display than the B-17 due to its rarity, innovation, and political history.

I don't think that the B-2 will ever be as much loved as the B-17, I think that the Fortress represent more, maybe it flew and fought in just one war, but it was in a far bigger war. As one of the pilots in History Channel's Dogfights said, those that fly today aren't pilots in the same way as we were....you miss the feeling of really flying in todays machines....something like that it was..

Anyhoo, what can expect to hear from one that LOVES everything old, eh?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(said with tongue in cheek)

well if a b-2 is 2.1 billion people would be freaking out if one crashed it like a large battleship you can't really afford to lose it

Better get used to it mate.... :lol: I wear a bulletproof west and a helmet when I'm here in the forum...their fire is heavy and accurate..:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back