B-24 by Ford Motor Company

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is that after Rosie had been working for 4 weeks or after 3 years?

Peacetime employees often had to "master" a number of different jobs as few aircraft factories actually had "assembly lines". Planes were built in batches, some of them rather small with little in the way of the production tooling and jigs that would be used later. Wartime large production runs often saw the same worker doing the same job (riveting a certain section of aircraft?) for months on end. With accurate jigs to hold parts in place and accurate templates to go by.

different parts of planes were built in different parts of the country, as I've discovered about a year ago or so. I read about Boeing creating different branch plants around WA. Aberdeen, Bellingham, Tacoma, Chehalis and Everett. The chehalis plant was opened in june 1943. they built pilot and copilot seats, wings, lower turret mounting assemblies, and interspar ribs for B-17 and B-29 bombers. It is still standing, as a Public Utility District for Lewis County. I've yet to visit it, though the town is right next to mine. lol

B24-Cockpit_USAF-595x459.jpg

Winston Churchill in the cockpit of B24 Liberator "Commando", in which Captain William Vanderkloot flew him to Moscow to meet Joseph Stalin, August 1942.
Churchillcommando-595x415.jpg

B-24D-5-CO Liberator, s/n 41-23819, "Rugged Buggy"
68th Bomb Squadron, 44th Bomb Group "The Flying Eightballs", 8th Air Force.
Lost on the May 14,1943 mission to Kiel,Germany.
liberator-in-flight-595x445.jpg

B-24J-90-CO Liberator
Serial number 42-100353
703rd Bomb Squadron, 445th Bomb Group, 8th Air Force.
Crash landed in a field near Metfield,Norfolk,England on March 8,1944.
crashed-liberator-bomber-595x445.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back