B-24 Propeller Blades??????

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jmaccobo

Recruit
Apr 8, 2008
Need some help identifying the propeller blades in the attached photos. The person I received them from thought they might be off of a B-24. Any help/info about these blades would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Prop Blades.jpg
    Prop Blades.jpg
    874.9 KB · Views: 724
  • Blade 1 HS marking.jpg
    Blade 1 HS marking.jpg
    487.8 KB · Views: 454
  • Blade2 HS marking.jpg
    Blade2 HS marking.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 409
  • Blade2 ID markings.jpg
    Blade2 ID markings.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 441
  • Blade 1 ID Markings.jpg
    Blade 1 ID Markings.jpg
    1,007 KB · Views: 480
Thank you for the info! My next question would be is there a market for these parts- either to a collector or someone refurbishing a B-24? I am not a collector and would like to sell them to someone that would have a use for them.

If you were to contact The Commerative Air Force, I'm sure they would
accept them as a donation !! Then you could deduct a huge sum from
your income taxes.

Charles

I will get into contact with them about a donation- Thanks again for all the good info!

Thank you for the info! My next question would be is there a market for these parts- either to a collector or someone refurbishing a B-24? I am not a collector and would like to sell them to someone that would have a use for them.
I seen a blade of the some part number going for about $350.00 somewhere on the Internet. For someone operating a B-24, the blades would first have to be inspected to determine if they are airworthy. I don't know what kind of props that are being operated by the current flying B-24s but my guess they would be Curtiss. There is still a possibility that the blade with a different hub configuration may go on another aircraft, but that would take some research.

I suggest e bay.....

For someone operating a B-24, the blades would first have to be inspected to determine if they are airworthy. I don't know what kind of props that are being operated by the current flying B-24s but my guess they would be Curtiss. There is still a possibility that the blade with a different hub configuration may go on another aircraft, but that would take some research.

Those blades are from a Ham Std 23E50 "Hydromatic" prop and I suspect the B-24s flying today are operating these types of props as they were very widely used and parts are available today though prop shops around the world. The bearing rings (the loose ring around the blade shank) look a bit corroded, as does the teeth ring that locks into the moving cam in the hub attached to one of the blades, but the blades themselves don't look too bad. HS blades have quite a big tolerance for damage to the blade width, but blade thickness is an issue. If there is any wear of any sort on the shoulder under the bearing ring then the blade is kaput. From what I remember there's to be no wear in this section.

23E50 prop.jpg

Ham Std 23E50 like this one. They might even share the same blade dwg number. If you want to donate them, I'd do like the other guys suggest, otherwise they make cool garden ornaments.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back