B-26 parts ID help (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DAN_H

Recruit
Feb 5, 2023
I have been detecting on a permission where a B-26 came down in East Sussex near Hailsham piloted by a guy called Kretschmer and was wondering if anyone could help identify some of the parts I'm struggling with especially the plaque and the control arm/lever attached below.

Attachments

• Control Arm.jpeg
    Control Arm.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Plaque.jpeg
    Plaque.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Various.jpeg
    Various.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Other bits we have found include parts of the bomb sight and what appears to be a parachute harness clip

edit: apologies I have just noticed there is a whole section dedicated to parts id could a mod move this post there?

Attachments

• Bomb Sight Dial.jpeg
    Bomb Sight Dial.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Bomb Sight.jpeg
    Bomb Sight.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Parachute Harness Clip.jpeg
    Parachute Harness Clip.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
other bits include a small piece with a star on and what I think could be the mechanism for securing and releasing the bombs

Attachments

• Bomb release 1.jpeg
    Bomb release 1.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Bomb release.jpeg
    Bomb release.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Star.jpeg
    Star.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 13
Not as versed in parts identification as others here, but I'll dig into my drawing pile to see if I can find that control arm. Have checked most of them, but there's two rolls of smaller parts where it might be hiding. My gut instinct would be one of the linkages from the control pedestal, for throttle, prop governors or mixture. I second your assessment on the bomb release parts, I think they're part of a bomb shackle. As for the star, it will depend on the size but my guess would be that it's the Martin logo from the top turret, as seen here: media-379969.jpg | American Air Museum. It could also be part of a data plate.

Update: Have not been able to find the control arm, but I only have 8 out of 44 rolls of microfilm on the B-26 so it might very well be on any of the other rolls. I no longer think it's part of the throttle quadrant, but am not sure what it could be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back