B-29 Engineering Flight book

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow! That is alot of dihedral. Is that normal or is this aircraft under extreme wing loading? I was not aware that structural design at that time allowed for such flexibility on a regular basis.

Very interesting about the remote controlled turrets and the computing gunsights. The B-29D was supposed to be powered by the new Pratt and Whitney R-4360 28 cylinder radial. Even though many of the R-3350's problems had been solved during the course of the war, it could never be said that the B-29 possessed a great reserve of power, particularly at take-off with a heavy load and high temperatures. The R-4360 was seen as a possible solution, as was the Allison V-3420. The Allison didn't pan out, but the R-4360 showed much promise. After the war, Boeing proposed an advanced version of the B-29, powered by the R-4360 and equipped for carrying atomic bombs. The Air Force was a bit reluctant going to Congress to ask for funding more B-29 purchases, with many B-29's in storage since the end of WWII. Not to mention, Congress had just elected to fund the jet B-47 project. So, instead of calling this improved version a B-29 derivative, it was decided to call the new version the B-50. It wasn't really out of line, considering that much of the B-50 was a new design. Though B-50's had entered service during the Korean war, none were used in combat.

Not to mention the little detail that the XB-36 was coming off the drawing board and would fly in August 1946..

May I ask You what the range for the B-29 in it´s nuclear bomber configuration (1945) was? Little Boy weighted 9000lbs, fat man even 10.000lbs and I remember that structural reinforcements were made, too.
I found that for the "normal" B-29:
-Maximum range was 4000 miles at 25,000 feet with 5000 pound bomb load.
-Maximum ferry range was 6000 miles (@.
-Practical operational radius was 1800 miles.
-A load of 5000 pounds of bombs could be carried over a 1600-mile radius at high altitude.
-A load of 12,000 pounds of bombs could be carried over a 1600-mile radius at medium altitude.

The maximum allowed fuel load for the nuclear modified B-29 was 8.073 gallons:
1,415 gallons in each inboard wing tank, 1,320 gallons in
each outboard wing tank and 1,333 (1,120 in B-29A) gallons in the centre wing tank and two 640lbs fuel tank in the rear bomb bay (the forward bomb bay was reserved for the nuke).

How much was medium and high altitude respectively?
How much would be the range at altitude for the nuclear B-29?

Thanks in advance,
delc

Attachments

• B29Pilots.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 939
  • B29Gunners.pdf
    11.5 MB · Views: 842
  • B29FlightEngineer.pdf
    13.4 MB · Views: 864
  • b29fifi.jpg
    b29fifi.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 750
I got some time today to finish the post above. As some of you know I dont like posting web links. You never know how long it will last especially if I think its importants so there it is.

Enjoy

Ok here goes nothin'. I have undertaken an enormous project and I need a little help.I am posting this in the hopes that I will be able to get some information or parts for B-29 gun turrets for a B-29 museum project. If I can get turrets and related parts and pieces that would be great, but I will not hold my breath. On the other hand, if I can aquire some factory construction and assembly and dimension drawings that would be a very big help. Does anyone out there know where I might aquire something of this nature? Any help is very much appreciated! I was trying to post this in the "All things B-29" thread.

Last edited:
Ok here goes nothin'. I have undertaken an enormous project and I need a little help.I am posting this in the hopes that I will be able to get some information or parts for B-29 gun turrets for a B-29 museum project. If I can get turrets and related parts and pieces that would be great, but I will not hold my breath. On the other hand, if I can aquire some factory construction and assembly and dimension drawings that would be a very big help. Does anyone out there know where I might aquire something of this nature? Any help is very much appreciated!

I have a B-29 Erection and Maintenance Manual. It's about 1000 pages, while I have it scanned I never got around to organizing the picture files to make pdf copies of it. There aren't dimensioned drawings on everything but let me know exactly what you need and I will make you a pdf of that material I have. I also have a B-29 or B-50 wiring manual, not sure what might be in there but I will look as well, however it might not be relevant at all. Take Care, Keith

I went ahead and uploaded some B-29 Tech Stuff I had handy for everyone but I will still look at the B-29 Erection Manual when you let me know your specific needs. Enjoy! Keith I pulled my scans for the turret section of the erection manual but they ended up being 195mb in size for those 28 pages. I will shrink them and post them somehow tomorrow.

Attachments

• 37161606-B-29-Transportation-Manual.pdf
    10.4 MB · Views: 677
  • 37160919-B-29-Combat-Crew-Manual-December-1944.pdf
    41.8 MB · Views: 901
  • 37161350-No-Movie-Tonite-24-Hours-at-a-B-29-Airfield.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 415
  • 37161021-B-29-Combat-Lead-Crew-School.pdf
    15.4 MB · Views: 641
  • B-29-Remote-Control-Turrets.pdf
    12.8 MB · Views: 786
Last edited:
A few more of general technical interest on the Superfortress.

Attachments

• B29 Cowl Flap Study Nasa.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 512
  • B-29 Radome Ice Removal Study.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 486
  • B-29 Parasite Fighter Flutter Study.pdf
    19.3 MB · Views: 545
  • B-29 Naca Testing Boosted Elevators.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 465
  • B-29 British Bombing Tests.pdf
    13.5 MB · Views: 513
  • B-29 Parasite Fighter Project.pdf
    24.3 MB · Views: 562
  • B-29 Nuclear Decon Study.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 596
  • B-29 NACA Induction Study.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 488
  • B-29 as a Target Study.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 447
  • b-29 Tallboy Installation Study.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 482
Thanks Keith, but it looks like we are going to have to build the turrets from scratch. I appreciate your help and the help from everyone else, but detail/dimensioned drawings are what I am going to need so we can make accurate reproductions of the turrets. We have detailed wiring diagrams for the turret systems, just no turrets to hook them up to.

I uploaded the 28 page section of the B-29 Erection and Maintenance Manual to the website below. I scanned the manual at a very high quality level, so the 28 pages are almost 200mb total. The zip file contains the jpeg picture files, I tried to make a pdf book out of them but it didn't work right. If someone wants to shrink these and make it into a pdf for a smaller size and faster download, I'm sure people will appreciate it. Enjoy! Keith

Use the FREE Download button. This website is safe and I have downloaded items from them for a long time and never had any virus issue like other type websites.

Download B-29_Erection_Turret_Pages.zip for free on Filesonic.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back