B-29 Losses

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Question to all on a point where "opinions differ". I'm not searching for opinions, but fact-based inferences:
AIUI, men died in B-17s, some at enemy hands and some because the plane quit flying. Ratio? The enemy was more likely to kill you than the plane was.
AIUI, men died in B-24s, some at enemy hands and some because the plane quit flying. Ratio? The enemy was more likely to kill you than the plane was.
AIUI, men died in B-29s, some at enemy hands and some because the plane quit flying. Ratio? The plane was more likely to kill you than the enemy was.
My resources are very limited (no room for books and little cash for travel). Is my understanding in conflict with y'alls knowledge?

As others have said, sometimes you have to take circumstances into account.
AIUI, men died in Lockheed Hudsons, some at enemy hands and some because the plane quit flying. Ratio? The plane was more likely to kill you than the enemy was?
AIUI, men died in A-W Whitley's, some at enemy hands and some because the plane quit flying. Ratio? The plane was more likely to kill you than the enemy was?
AIUI, men died in C-54s, some at enemy hands and some because the plane quit flying. Ratio? The plane was more likely to kill you than the enemy was?
There are others, long over water flights in heavily loaded aircraft, especially twins, did not always end well.
some other planes also had engine problems, look up the Martin PBM series. Somewhat prone to inflight engine fires, one was lost looking for flight 19 of Bermuda triangle fame.
Only production US plane to use fan cooled engines (in one model) in an attempt to solve power and overheating problems.

We may want to look up any number of carrier planes. Including take-off and landing accidents quite a number of them killed more pilots/crew than were shot down by the enemy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back