B-32 - Clearing the record a bit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Niceoldguy58

Airman
Mar 2, 2010
I thought it would be appropriate to add some hard-won facts to the discussions on the B-32. Too many fairy tales have arisen about the aircraft over the many decades since she disappeared.

Where to start? I suppose the first place is that all this information comes from documents and photos gathered for a new book on the B-32 by me (Alan Griffith, author of "Consolidated Mess, Vol I" and Nick Veronico, author of many books). This book will, I believe, be the definitive book on the B-32 Dominator/Terminator and we plan to have it to the publisher a bit later this year. I estimate that in photos alone, some 90% have never been seen. While there may be some manual drawings used in the book, the emphasis at all times has been original documents, reports, drawings and photos.

Anyway, while it is true that more emphasis went into the B-29, it needs to be understood that Boeing had begun the process that would result in the B-29 as early as with the Y1B-20 series (Model 316, 316A/B/C/D) . Consolidated was making a huge jump with the B-24 and its inexperience with building big bombers showed in many ways.

Rather than get into the many delays in the B-32 program here, I will share that by late 1944-early 1945 General Arnold ordered that Consolidated should pump out B-32's as quickly as possible. No more delays were to be accepted and personnel from the B-36 program should be moved over to the B-32 as needed. THe B-32 was going to used to pound Japan into dust, so they needed a lot of them. I have a schedule showing the replacement of B-24s in all parts of the Pacific, the CBI and finally the Aleutians (there in November, 1946) by month. THe pressure to produce B-32s would continue to grow until it suddenly ended and the program cancelled. There were a number of reasons for this. The Atomic Bomb is an obvious cause, but not the only one by any means. The Bomb had been kept completely secret (except to the spies, of course), so it wasn't until it became necessary to let Arnold in on the secret and start training B-29 crews to drop it that they decided to pull the plug on the B-32. In addition, a number of very telling arguments had been made along the way that the B-29 was a better, cheaper aircraft and that it was ALREADY IN MASS PRODUCTION and in combat.

Had the B-32 been in production a year earlier, I have no doubt that B-24's would have been gone in the proverbial heartbeat. Also, keep in mind that the manner in which the B-29's were ultimately used - low to medium altitudes and increasingly at night - would have fit perfectly into the B-32's capabilities. My only real question is whether or not they would have been sent to Europe or dedicated to the Pacific. I lean to the latter as I'm not convinced Doolittle et al would be enthusiastic about having to establish yet another logistical trail for a new, untested aircraft at the same time they were trying to make the 8AF an all-B17 unit as it was.

There has been much said about the poor quality of the B-32. My research has not shown this to be the case any more than it was in the early B-29's. The causes for the problems appears to have been due to the number of new and untried systems incorporated into the design and, even more so, the jump from working out the bugs and into full production in such a short time.

Finally, the B-32 was a Fort Worth aircraft, NOT San Diego. There was discussion about starting a second production line in San Diego, but that never came to fruition.

There is so much to be told in the story of the B-32 that has never been touched upon that it is a bit difficult to know where to begin and where to end in an admittedly limited format such as this. I promise to keep everyone appraised of the progress on "Dominator - The Untold Story of the B-32" and will be glad to answer what questions I can about the aircraft itself.

Respectfully submitted,

Alan Griffith

I thought it would be appropriate to add some hard-won facts to the discussions on the B-32. Too many fairy tales have arisen about the aircraft over the many decades since she disappeared.

Where to start? I suppose the first place is that all this information comes from documents and photos gathered for a new book on the B-32 by me (Alan Griffith, author of "Consolidated Mess, Vol I" and Nick Veronico, author of many books). This book will, I believe, be the definitive book on the B-32 Dominator/Terminator and we plan to have it to the publisher a bit later this year. I estimate that in photos alone, some 90% have never been seen. While there may be some manual drawings used in the book, the emphasis at all times has been original documents, reports, drawings and photos.

Anyway, while it is true that more emphasis went into the B-29, it needs to be understood that Boeing had begun the process that would result in the B-29 as early as with the Y1B-20 series (Model 316, 316A/B/C/D) . Consolidated was making a huge jump with the B-24 and its inexperience with building big bombers showed in many ways.

Rather than get into the many delays in the B-32 program here, I will share that by late 1944-early 1945 General Arnold ordered that Consolidated should pump out B-32's as quickly as possible. No more delays were to be accepted and personnel from the B-36 program should be moved over to the B-32 as needed. THe B-32 was going to used to pound Japan into dust, so they needed a lot of them. I have a schedule showing the replacement of B-24s in all parts of the Pacific, the CBI and finally the Aleutians (there in November, 1946) by month. THe pressure to produce B-32s would continue to grow until it suddenly ended and the program cancelled. There were a number of reasons for this. The Atomic Bomb is an obvious cause, but not the only one by any means. The Bomb had been kept completely secret (except to the spies, of course), so it wasn't until it became necessary to let Arnold in on the secret and start training B-29 crews to drop it that they decided to pull the plug on the B-32. In addition, a number of very telling arguments had been made along the way that the B-29 was a better, cheaper aircraft and that it was ALREADY IN MASS PRODUCTION and in combat.

Had the B-32 been in production a year earlier, I have no doubt that B-24's would have been gone in the proverbial heartbeat. Also, keep in mind that the manner in which the B-29's were ultimately used - low to medium altitudes and increasingly at night - would have fit perfectly into the B-32's capabilities. My only real question is whether or not they would have been sent to Europe or dedicated to the Pacific. I lean to the latter as I'm not convinced Doolittle et al would be enthusiastic about having to establish yet another logistical trail for a new, untested aircraft at the same time they were trying to make the 8AF an all-B17 unit as it was.

There has been much said about the poor quality of the B-32. My research has not shown this to be the case any more than it was in the early B-29's. The causes for the problems appears to have been due to the number of new and untried systems incorporated into the design and, even more so, the jump from working out the bugs and into full production in such a short time.

Finally, the B-32 was a Fort Worth aircraft, NOT San Diego. There was discussion about starting a second production line in San Diego, but that never came to fruition.

There is so much to be told in the story of the B-32 that has never been touched upon that it is a bit difficult to know where to begin and where to end in an admittedly limited format such as this. I promise to keep everyone appraised of the progress on "Dominator - The Untold Story of the B-32" and will be glad to answer what questions I can about the aircraft itself.

Respectfully submitted,

Alan Griffith

I don't question your knowledge of the B-32, but I think the real question -- which has probably been asked -- is whether the US needed another bomber in that category. While both the B-24 and B-17 had real shortcomings, inability to carry large bombs among them, they were adequate in Europe, and the only reason they weren't in the Pacific was because of shortcomings in range. The second question is whether the US government was beginning to wonder if the B-32 was worth the bother because of problems with its development. They may have had the same thoughts about the B-29, but that aircraft had nearly a two year head start, so they would have been wondering about its viability in late 1941/early 1942, before the B-32 had its first flight.

I should be looking forward to your conclusions. The B-32 was a backup to the B-29 and quite behind schedule without much of the technical challenges that the B-29 had. That being said many of of the issues were drop as they proved a challenge on the B-29 and due to the time frame needed for it getting into action so pressurization system and remote turrets were dropped in favor of the more proven systems. Smaller then the Super fort and yet a similar capability in load and range but with little time left in the war and with the B-36 in the works it never had a chance. I would love to see some thing in an injected molded model as well.

Swampyankee (Great name, by the way), your question has been asked countless times, and I'm still not sure there is a totally satisfactory answer. According the AAC, the answer was obviously "yes". And given what they knew up to the test of the atomic bomb at Jackass Flats I think the answer would still have had to "yes". The U.S. put a lot of eggs in that one basket, and even after BOTH had been dropped there was no guarantee that Japan would not have continued to fight on and thus necessitating an incredibly costly invasion. We need to look back to the time period from Pearl Harbor up until the time when the knowledge of the existence of the atomic bomb was more widely known among the command structure to truly understand the perceived need. Had the atomic bomb not existed, or not functioned properly or the Japanese hard-liners succeeded in circumventing the Emperor, the U.S. would have needed every long-range heavy bomber we could get our hands on in order to reduce Japan to a slightly hilly parking lot. Casualties in the island campaign had steadily risen in 1945 and there was no reason whatsoever to believe the actual invasion of Japan would not have followed that hyperbolic curve into the stratosphere. It is important to remember that despite the greater and greater numbers of B-29's bombing Japan, the Superfortress was still a problem-plagued aircraft in both equipment and in tactics. Not widely known were the plans to equip the B-29, B-32, B-36 and B-35 (some fairly crazy drawings if I say so myself) with both the Tallboy and Grandslam bombs with which to attack Japan. I suspect these bombs would have been used primarily to hit mountains and their tunnel systems to seal them shut. And don't forget the object floating in the punchbowl - Russia. Had push come to shove we would have needed every long-range heavy bomber would could lay our hands on. I hope that answers most of your questions.

Viking, I can assure you that our book, while it may have the occasional page taken from a manual, is based entirely on original factory, unit and AAC documents and photos. For instance, I obtained over 200 photos alone on the A-17/A-18/A-19 turrets that were designed and tested on the B-32, not to mention documentation on proposed production, tests, etc.

Varsity - I'm working on it/them!!

Donivanp, I, too, would love to see a kit of the B-32 - especially in the "One True Scale, Amen", 1/72nd scale. Given my years in the model kit industry I am sure I have appropriate data and drawings to enable a manufacturer to produce such a kit.

I hope this addresses all the questions and concerns to date. If more appear, I'll be sure to try and address them.

Alan Griffith

A friend of mine entered the USAAF as an enlisted man during WWII. At first he was being trained as a B-32 gunner. He was told that for the invasion of Japan the B-32's would act as gunships, flying low with the gunners blasting away at ground targets. When the invasion proved unnecessary he was sent Europe and was trained as a radar intercept controller, where he was selected for the special job of dealing with an unknown high speed aircraft that was coming from the East at night.

I am looking forward to your B-32 book as well as part 2 of Consolidated Mess.
I found part 1 just as I was starting a model of one from the bomb groups my father belonged to in both the 8th and 15th Air Forces, and it enabled me to make a much more accurate and detailed model than I would have otherwise been able to with out it and I'm immensely greatfull to you for that.
**** DONE: 1/72 B-24H "Booby Trap" - Heavy Hitters II GB

Last edited:
No Vic, to my knowledge, the only remaining portion of a B-32 is a turret at the senior NCO Academy at Gunter AFB, AL

Are ya sure?

Silver_Wing_Monument,_San_Diego,_California.JPG

Montgomery Memorial, Otay Mesa.[97][98] The Montgomery Memorial was dedicated on May 21, 1950 and features a silver static test wing panel for the Consolidated B-32 Dominator mounted upright that is visible for miles.[99] It is also associated with a recreation center near the location of his first glides (Montgomery-Waller Recreation Center, San Diego, California[100]). The memorial was designed by pioneering modernist Lloyd Ruocco.

This is really cool! I was not aware of the B-32 at all! I thought I knew a great deal about WWII as well. Thanks guys!

Sitting here thinking on it, I think my father did mention it once briefly in a casual conversation to which I was just an observer. Now I'm fascinated by this! Thanks again!

Last edited:
And to think inventions like this were on the drafting board just roughly 10 years before the X-15 and SR-71. The 30's thru 50's are the most amazingly fascinating period of human engineering to me. Don, without hijacking the thread can you elaborate on the 19 ride?

P.S. My Grandfather worked at the Skunkworks and oh the stories I overheard as a child! Drive out to a desert parking lot, blindfolded/hooded, flown into "work;" work all day underground; dropped off back in the desert at the end of the day et. al. Is there a general talk thread about these kinds of obscure airplanes/technological progressions?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back