The Road to the B-32...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Niceoldguy58

Airman
Mar 2, 2010
…is paved with good intentions...

While our (myself and co-author Nicholas A. Veronico) plan had been to have what we are confident will be The Definitive Book on the B-32 finished several years ago, life and its complications got in the way BIG TIME.

First came COVID, shutting down pretty much every archive and museum in the United States and the Western World, thus leaving quite a bit of data sitting in the files waiting for the opportunity to access it. In addition, health issues interfered in a massive manner. Both my co-author and myself were hit by physical maladies and injuries requiring hospitalization, extended treatment, and physical therapy. Add to that deaths within families and aging parents requiring great amounts of attention and we find ourselves in the position we are today.

This is not to say that work has stopped. Nick did a tremendous and impressive amount of research on the history of each and every B-32 produced. Part of this research appeared in the January 2022 issue of Air Classics magazine ("Mystery of the Missing Dominators"). I, on the other hand, have produced in-scale drawings of all the big, multi-engine aircraft and aircraft studies of both Consolidated and Boeing. I have attached one page of the Consolidated aircraft. I have continued in-depth research on the surprisingly-large number of gun turrets that were designed with the B-32 in mind. I have included a drawing of two the of more peculiar iterations of that as well, the A-18 top turret and A-19 bottom turret. I estimate that are roughly twenty different turret designs that were looked at for the B-32, and I have found drawings and photos of most, if not all, of these. I have also tracked down the location of the engineering drawings for the B-32, several variants, etc.

A-18 and A-19 turret FINAL SIZE SIDE PROFILE_edited for WEB.jpg

Our hope and intention is to have this book done by the end of this year (2023 - thought I should be specific). Note this is not a promise, but a VERY strong intention. By choosing not to fill this book with pages taken out of various B-32 manuals - and I have them all - we have taken the high-if-rocky road of original source materials. This has meant finding, identifying and copying literally tens of thousands of photos, documents and original drawings. The result will be a fascinating and eye-opening volume on the heavy bomber that almost was.

So that is where things stand today. Tomorrow it will be different!

AlanG

Boeing & Convair Side Views Version 1 WEB SIZE- 4.jpg

Glad you're still working on this, Alan! Sorry to hear about all you've had to deal with in the meantime.

I would love to be able to buy a copy of this book, sir. Thank you for continuing to work on it.

On the basis it is best to be told twice. B-32, San Diego production was 2 XB-32 in August 1944, 1 XB-32 in March 1945, 1 B-32 in July 1945. Fort Worth production -

MonthB-32TB-32
Sep-44​
1​
Oct-44​
0​
Nov-44​
1​
Dec-44​
8​
4​
Jan-45​
0​
7​
Feb-45​
0​
17​
Mar-45​
5​
12​
Apr-45​
11​
May-45​
17​
Jun-45​
21​
Jul-45​
7​
Aug-45​
3​
Total
74​
40​

Plus delivery log information.

Attachments

• B-32 Delivery Logs.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
Taking this thread a bit OT, I believe the only part remaining of a B-32 is the J.J. Montgomery memorial in Otay Mesa, CA.
Montgomery Memorial - Wikipedia

While at the NASM Garber Facility, we had a quad .50 caliber turret, reputed to be intended for a B-32

IMHO, the only remnant of the B-32s is a reskinned outer wing displayed at Otay Mesa, South of San Diego, as the main element in the John Joseph Montgomery Memorial. Though little recognized, and not part of the mainstream aeronautical development, Montgomery made some amazing flights before Wrights and Lilienthal, including glider drops from balloons. His location and secretive personality kept him out of the mainstream.
NASM Garber has a quad .50 caliber turret that supposedly was being considered for the B-32. Possibly an attempt to counter the head-on attacks that Germans and Japanese were using to good effect against fast, high flying bombers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back