B25 questions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Purdy51

Recruit
Jul 31, 2020
Found 2 photos of my Dad Oren Purdy
Are these B25's
I lost his New Guinea book with several Squadron's and photos.
26942756-6C97-42E3-B237-3D733F871CC6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
...and Italy, not Borneo. Specifically, Grotaglia. My father was a mechanic in the 718th. The 449th veterans association put together a really nice set of books, with mission records, pictures and personal recollections. I don't know where you'd find a set now, but there may be some floating around.

...and Italy, not Borneo. Specifically, Grotaglia. My father was a mechanic in the 718th. The 449th veterans association put together a really nice set of books, with mission records, pictures and personal recollections. I don't know where you'd find a set now, but there may be some floating around.
Guys, I believe these are mixed sources with the photo of the same a/c, but with different crews. Yes, Reluctant Liz was in the MTO, but Purdy51's dad did serve in the Pacific, probably with the 5-th AAF. The photos of the many crews (check also Fubar's/Geo's links) in front of the Reluctant Liz have been done before transferring and the photographer used one and the same noseart as background.
@ Purdy51:
B-24 Liberator is a heavy bomber, 4 engines, long range, bigger bomb load, 10 men crew, dozens of sub-types and variants - check this thread: Consolidated B-24 Liberator
B-25 Mitchell is a medium bomber, 2 engines, lighter and faster, 4-5-7 men crew, many variants and modifications - check this thread: North American B-25 Mitchell.
The photo you posted shows a B-24 in the background with the crew your dad was part of, probably during his training. It is not impossible that after transferring to the theater of operations he served with different crews and even on different airplane(s).
As an example the 22-nd Bomb. Group operated in the SWPA (Southwest Pacific Theater) and used initially B-26 Marauders, then B-25 Mitchells. In Febr. 1944 the group converted from medium bombers to heavy B-24 until the end of the war.
The above photo is probably from the end of 1943 (Nov.-Dec). Do you have some more information about him and his unit in New Guinea?
Found 2 photos of my Dad Oren Purdy.
I don't see the second photo BTW.
Cheers!
Yves

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back