Bader's Spitfire Va, underwing roundels yes or no ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
Having been given an Airfix Spitfire Mk Va Douglas Bader and the kit has no underwing roundels.
so after having a look around for ref's came across this from Airfix that was posted on an Airix tribute forum

It has come to our attention that we have made an error in the instructions of this model and have inadvertently shown roundels on the underside of the wings of this Spitfire. As you may have noticed we have not supplied these roundels in this kit and can assure you that this is historically correct, as Douglas Bader flew this type without the underside markings.
We apologise for any confusion this has brought and assure you that we are currently updating new stocks of this kit to ensure the roundels are removed from the instructions. Thank you.
Airfix

so anybody have any ideas, i find it difficult to belive there were no roundels painted under the wings of Bader's Mk Va, but what do i know !!!!!!!:D

Darn! Can't see in the pic! I had heard somewhere it didn't have roundels, but that seems very strange for early 1941. Had it been a MkI in July to early August 1940, maybe, but 1941 probably not.
EDIT: might be worth an e-mail to Airfix, asking where the info came from?

Last edited:
"Thank-you for your inquiry. You are very important to us and we will respond as soon as possible. In the meantime, if you wish to receive our catalogue, please do not respond to this automated e-mail."

well i never did get a reply from Airfix about this !
so with the aces GB soon i think i'm going to put roundels on the undersides, i have the Baders last flight book and the cover shows a painting with roundels and a copy of the Frank Wootton painting which depicts the same !
any further thoughts from anyone

Attachments

• bader2.jpg
    bader2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 172
  • bader.jpg
    bader.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 153
As mentioned earlier Red Two, it's probably 99% certain the roundels were there. It was only during that transition period, at the middle of the 'turn around' in the BoB, that some aircraft didn't have the roundels. By the time of DB's MkV, the situation was more stable, aircraft from MUs were 'properly' painted, and most things were as per regs.
Bottom line = roundels would be there !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back