Ball Turret Ammo quantity

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bomber

Banned
Aug 12, 2006
Has anyone got any definative data for the B17 and B24 ball turrets...

Ammo quantity
degrees of turn a second...

that sort of thing

thanks in advance

Simon

Thanks Thor, I'll have a look when I get home... both those sites are blocked here at work... (they're very keen on that sort of thing here )

Simon

Comis, I have often wondered about the millions of rounds of ammunition fired in the air over Europe during WW2 as well as the fragments from AAA. Of course there are the cases falling to earth also. The 20mm and 30mm rounds were fused to explode on impact. I wonder how much damage they did on the ground? There were bound to be people killed from the rain of steel from the sky.

ANXBe.png

Last edited:
Comis, I have often wondered about the millions of rounds of ammunition fired in the air over Europe during WW2 as well as the fragments from AAA. Of course there are the cases falling to earth also. The 20mm and 30mm rounds were fused to explode on impact. I wonder how much damage they did on the ground? There were bound to be people killed from the rain of steel from the sky.

All that steel rain did a number on bagdad in the "Good" Gulf War.

bomber, I don't believe the B24 had a ball turret. I went back and checked some gun camera film on utube and I can't see one. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you Cyrano. Good photo. talked to man a year or so ago who flew B24s and he said the advantage they had over B17s was that after bomb release they could lose altitude very quickly to throw off AAA. This was bcause of the Davis wing, I believe.

I have the original manuals for the A-16 Bendix Chin Turret and
the A-1 and A-1A Sperry Upper Turret. Can I be of help?:idea:

Semper Fi
Lucanus

You sure can if they're as good as the bendix chin turret I've just downloaded from here....

A fine manual it is and delight to a virtual modeller with all the detail show :)

regards

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back