Beaufighter vs. Axis fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Beau's always remind me of those pod racers in the Star Wars movie with those huge engines pulling everything else…..also and this will probably sound strange af but for a couple of reasons I can't put my fingers on 🤔 they remind me of Salma Hayek …. Never said I was from your planet lol

bristol-beaufighter-large-4.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

Hmmm.... ok I think maybe I can see where you are going with that...

Beaufighter versus single-seat fighter kills as mentioned in the text of the book Beaufighter Aces of WW2 by Andrew Thomas.

On 27 December 1941, a 235 Sqn Beaufighter Ic, operating out of Sumburgh, Shetland Islands shot down a Bf 109.

On 14 November 1942, a 227 Sqn Beaufighter piloted by American Plt Off Carl Johnson shot down a Bf 109 piloted by Uffz Hartmut Klotzer of III/JG 53 after Klotzer had shot down a couple of Beaufighters.

On 15 February 1944, 211 Sqn Beaufighter Xs operating to the north of Akyab were attacked by four Ki-43s, the sqn CO Wg Cdr Pat Meagher shot down two, after firing a salvo of rockets at them (!), the rockets didn't hit though!

A 211 Sqn Beaufighter piloted by Sqn Ldr Muller-Rowland shot down a Siamese Air Force Curtiss Hawk biplane fighter on 8 April 1944.

On 28 April 211 Sqn CO Meagher shot down another Ki-43.

On 22 November, 30 Sqn RAAF Beaufighter A19-8 piloted by Flt Lt Little shot down an A6M. Apparently when attacked by enemy fighters the Beaufighter pilots learned to dive for the ground and hightail it away by outrunning the enemy fighters, which worked. A6Ms struggled to catch the Beaufighters diving for the deck.

On 23 December 1942, 21 Sqn RAAF Beaufighter A19-9 piloted by Sgt Barnett shot down a Ki-27.

On 21 November 1943, 31 Sqn RAAF CO Sqn Ldr Gordon shot down a Nakajima A6M-2N float plane fighter, which proved a bit of a headache to the Beaufighters.

On 25 March 1945, 176 Sqn RAF Beaufighter piloted by Fg Off Forbes shot down a Ki-43 off the coast of Burma.

Those are cool. But I think I've already posted more than that. I count 18 Japanese fighters from "Pacific Victory Roll" of which about 6 or 7 are those A6M2-N "Rufe" Floatlplane fighters.

I don't know the total amount of claims in the Med but it has to be dozens of Ju 88s and Bf 110s, and a few single engine types as well.

Last edited:
Those are cool. But I think I've already posted more than that. I count 18 Japanese fighters from "Pacific Victory Roll" of which about 6 or 7 are those A6M2-N "Rufe" Floatlplane fighters.

I don't know the total amount of claims in the Med but it has to be dozens of Ju 88s and Bf 110s, and a few single engine types as well.
Yeah, what I posted was what was mentioned in the book, not specifically all single-engined fighter kills by Beaufighters. By the looks of things, He 111s, Ju 88s and Bf 110s appear to be the types Beaufighters shot down the most of.

Well it would be nice to take a survey and figure that out based on some concrete numbers. I'm not sure I have the time myself though. But you might be right.

Beaufighters were involved in some of those Ju-52 massacres over the Med as well IIRC so the numbers of those might also be pretty high.

This video opens up with a great interview with a Beau pilot. I'm still watching it so no comment on the later sections, but this guy's pretty badass:

ETA: Not going with the "Whispering Death" thing, that sounds like crap. But their experiences are something to listen to.

Last edited:
yes "Mediterranean Air War" (Shores) lists actual losses on both sides on a day by day basis, not just claims. I'll find an example or two & post today.

Since no country other than the U.S.A> ever funded a post-war study of aerial victories, how are you sure these victories aren't claims? What exact criteria for validating a claim as an actual loss?

This video opens up with a great interview with a Beau pilot. I'm still watching it so no comment on the later sections, but this guy's pretty badass:

ETA: Not going with the "Whispering Death" thing, that sounds like crap. But their experiences are something to listen to.

That was terrific, OUTSTANDING. Excellent interviews and nice footage, including some bits I hadn't seen before. Too bad so few, if any of those old guys are still around to tell these stories. Love the Beau, and the Aussies. :salute:
:pilotsalute:

Since no country other than the U.S.A> ever funded a post-war study of aerial victories, how are you sure these victories aren't claims? What exact criteria for validating a claim as an actual loss?

I am a bit baffled by this question. Are you actually, genuinely unfamiliar with the books I was referring to? You never heard of Mediterranean AirWar, or Black Cross Red Star, or Pacific Air War etc.?

The books like MAW etc. just list whatever claims which are extant, by both sides, and then lists the losses by both sides - according to their own records. It's really pretty simple. The losses come from direct access to the records of all air forces in action in the given Theater.

I thought most of the regulars in these forums were familiar with these books and had been for years. 🤷‍♂️

That was terrific, OUTSTANDING. Excellent interviews and nice footage, including some bits I hadn't seen before. Too bad so few, if any of those old guys are still around to tell these stories. Love the Beau, and the Aussies. :salute:
:pilotsalute:

I really enjoyed it, so much so that I couldn't wait for the finish to share it here. :) I'm glad y'all enjoyed it too!

Beaufighter's did successfully engage A6M's several times. They also had many bloody engagements with BF 110s and Ju 88s over the Med, both inflicting and taking many losses.
I'd give the Beaufighter good odds against any twin engined piston fighter fielded by the Axis, including the Kawasaki Ki-45 and Ki-102, IMAM Ro.57, Heinkel He 219, and Messerschmitt Me 210. Late war prototypes like the Mitsubishi Ki-83 likely would have bested the Beaufighter had they entered service.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back