Belgian F-16 20mm cannon incident

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I believe the F-16 has a lockout that's engaged when the gear is extended...perhaps BiffF15 BiffF15 might have better details, but going back to a maintenance guy working on a live aircraft, how was that even permitted?

And even then, the discharge of the cannon cannot be "accidental", it has to be switched on and the trigger depressed...you don't just "bump" something and it goes off like that.

It's not when the gear is extended, but rather when the gear is on the ground. That is what a WOW switch does. As the strut compresses on the ground it activates the Switch which prevents things like accidental retraction of the gear, or jettison of the external stores.

Are those the red streamers you usually see hanging off the various parts and weapons in pixs?

Yes, anytime you install anything that is not supposed to remain on an aircraft during flight, and that includes rig pins, breech pins, engine plugs, etc., it will have a long red streamer attached to it so that it is not missed.

Leaving something like flight control rig pin installed can be catastrophic.

Thanks for weighing in, Biff.

I'm not overly versed in modern combat component procedure aboard these ships, but something doesn't seem to add up.

And I keep reading the details about the incident and certain things stand out, like the fully armed F-16 was in a hangar, for instance.

I know that Belgium has been going through a considerable amount civil turmoil recently and this has me wondering if it may be a case of poor vetting and security.

GrauGeist,

Fully armed and in a hanger is not a big deal, however more than one armed and in a hanger together is against USAF regs (gun excluded). We sat alert with armed jets, that were divided by living quarters, and it wasn't a problem due to a certain level of blast protection and distance. I think the reg is done like that to keep one jets weapons from cooking off and causing damage to an adjacent jet. Google alert shelters for Homestead or Keflavik NAS. I've sat alert in both and they are made from the same template with minor differences .

Cheers,
Biff

Last edited:
Are those the red streamers you usually see hanging off the various parts and weapons in pixs?

Yes. On an Eagle with external wing tanks and weapons you will see streamers on the AIM9s for the cover of the seeker, and the cover for the target detection device (behind the seeker and covered by a sleeve). The tanks will have streamers for themselves (they jettison with a pyrotechnic charge), as well as the pylon that holds the tanks and missiles. The AIM7and the AIM9 are both armed by a locking mechanism on the missile fuselage (don't remember with AIM120). If there was a centerline pylon on the Eagle we kept it carted (jettisonable) as it allowed our JFS (APU in civilian speak) a larger inflight start envelope once jettisoned. Live Missiles carried on the fuselage were also carted for jettison. Anything carted, or live, would have a streamer attached to a pin that had to be pulled prior to flight.

Cheers,
Biff

It's not when the gear is extended, but rather when the gear is on the ground. That is what a WOW switch does. As the strut compresses on the ground it activates the Switch which prevents things like accidental retraction of the gear, or jettison of the external stores.

DerAlder,

I don't think the external stores jettison is run through the WOW switch on fighters. If you had a tire blowout, which could easily damage the WOW switch or wires, and you needed to get rid of stores you would be stuck landing with a gear malfunction and potentially live weapons (thinking bombs here more than air to air missiles). Not a confidence inspiring set up when you need to land ASAP.

Cheers,
Biff

DerAlder,

I don't think the external stores jettison is run through the WOW switch on fighters. If you had a tire blowout, which could easily damage the WOW switch or wires, and you needed to get rid of stores you would be stuck landing with a gear malfunction and potentially live weapons (thinking bombs here more than air to air missiles). Not a confidence inspiring set up when you need to land ASAP.

Cheers,
Biff

That sounds very reasonable.

Yes. On an Eagle with external wing tanks and weapons you will see streamers on the AIM9s for the cover of the seeker, and the cover for the target detection device (behind the seeker and covered by a sleeve). The tanks will have streamers for themselves (they jettison with a pyrotechnic charge), as well as the pylon that holds the tanks and missiles. The AIM7and the AIM9 are both armed by a locking mechanism on the missile fuselage (don't remember with AIM120). If there was a centerline pylon on the Eagle we kept it carted (jettisonable) as it allowed our JFS (APU in civilian speak) a larger inflight start envelope once jettisoned. Live Missiles carried on the fuselage were also carted for jettison. Anything carted, or live, would have a streamer attached to a pin that had to be pulled prior to flight.

Cheers,
Biff
Thanks for the info! You too Adler!

Last edited:
DerAlder,

Cheers,
Biff

Yes, the WOW switch most certainly does control stores jettison.

In 1987 aboard CV-61 Ranger I watched an F-14 Tomcat launch from one of the waist catapults (on the angle deck). As it lifted off, the fuel tanks and missiles all dropped off simultaneously. The aircraft immediately returned to the carrier, where it was found that the master stores jettison switch was shorted out internally - when the landing gear struts lengthened as weight came off, the jettison circuit was activated.

Yes, the WOW switch most certainly does control stores jettison.

In 1987 aboard CV-61 Ranger I watched an F-14 Tomcat launch from one of the waist catapults (on the angle deck). As it lifted off, the fuel tanks and missiles all dropped off simultaneously. The aircraft immediately returned to the carrier, where it was found that the master stores jettison switch was shorted out internally - when the landing gear struts lengthened as weight came off, the jettison circuit was activated.

GK,

Different manufacturers, different parameters. If I were designing a USN fighter I would do it the same way so as not to FOD the deck. When you have runways, IE more than one, I would make the stores jett hot when ever switched to on. This would allow the pilot to jett stores as or tanks when desired without the additional level of routing it thru a WOW switch, which could malfunction or be damaged. Different looks at safety and reliability depending on ones perspective.

Cheers,
Biff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back