Best Ace of WW1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just about. What I think is wiered about it though is the fact that WW1 aviation was still like the chivelrous days of the Nights on Horse Back. It really is a glorious time.

When I was kid this WW1 ace who lived in my community used to come to my elementary school, his name was George Vaughn. Listening to him speak really got my interest in aviation. He was a 13 kill ace!

It was - I remember all of my classmates asking him if he fought the Red Baron. I believe he participated in the same airbattle that killed the Red Baron.

That is a very intresting and controversial battle. I truely believe it was the Canadian gunners on the ground that got him. Either way I saw some pictures of his funural and there were even allied pilots attending it. Shows what kind of respect he recieved.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
That is a very intresting and controversial battle. I truely believe it was the Canadian gunners on the ground that got him. Either way I saw some pictures of his funural and there were even allied pilots attending it. Shows what kind of respect he recieved.

Oh, I agree all the way! I don't remeber the name of the author, but one of the first books written about the Red Baron actually being killed by groundfire was dimissed as rubbish and the author heavily ridiculed. He described the gunshot wound, the trajectory, the fact that ground forces shat at the Red Baron, the delay in him crashing, all adding up to the truth.

Now if those darned Aussies didn't strip his aiplane apart........... :rolleyes: ;) :D

Snoopy vs The Red Baron
Achtung, jetz wir ssingen ssusammen die Geschichte over den schweinkopfigen Hund und dem lieben Red Baron ...

After the turn of the century
In the clear blue skies over Germany
Came a roar and a thunder man had never heard
Like the screaming sound of a big war bird
Up in the sky, a man in a plane
Baron von Richthofen was his name
Eighty men tried, and eighty men died
Now they're buried together in the countryside

Ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty or more
The Bloody Red Baron was running up the score
Eighty men died trying to end that spree
Of the Bloody Red Baron of Germany

In the nick of time, a hero arose
A funny-looking dog with a big black nose
He flew into the sky to seek revenge
But the Baron shot him down; "Curses, foiled again!"

Now Snoopy swore he'd get that man
So he asked the Great Pumpkin for a new battle plan
He challenged the German to a real dogfight
While the Baron was laughing, he got him in his sight

The Bloody Red Baron was in a fix
He tried everything but he'd run out of tricks
Snoopy fired once and he fired twice
And the Bloody Red Baron went spinning out of sight

roy brown was tailing manfred after manfred latched onto the tail of a young naive canadian pilot,i did have this mans name somewhere i,ll look it up i think he may have been a corporal.anyhow manfred was concentrating so intensely roy caught him off guard forcing him lower.this is when the aussie gunners started to fire at the red triplane.while manfred was fired upon the young pilot escaped and flew off.there was a factual programme on british t.v about who actually caused the death of the red baron and even they couldnt come up with any conclussive answers.odds on it was the australian gunners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back