Best Ace of WW1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The young, naive Canadian pilot was Captain Wilfrid (often misspelled as "Wilfred") "Wop" May. He was on his first combat flight. He and Roy Brown were in fact old Edmonton school chums. Wop May ended the war with 13 credited kills and would become a famous bush pilot.

BTW, take the narrative in the link with a grain of salt. It's a bit of a propaganda sheet, so not all of the "facts" may be quite accurate.

http://www.bestcdn.com/primary/pride/may.htm

Nonskimmer said:
The young, naive Canadian pilot was Captain Wilfrid (often misspelled as "Wilfred") "Wop" May. He was on his first combat flight. He and Roy Brown were in fact old Edmonton school chums. Wop May ended the war with 13 credited kills and would become a famous bush pilot.

BTW, take the narrative in the link with a grain of salt. It's a bit of a propaganda sheet, so not all of the "facts" may be quite accurate.

http://www.bestcdn.com/primary/pride/may.htm

thanks for the useful info nonskimmer i enjoyed reading that.and i did laugh at the propoganda line. :lol:

edward "mick" mannock the top scoring british pilot with 73 confirmed kills.an irishman flying in the rfc.alas the unfortunate soul killed close towards the wars close.and yet again an se5a pilot :squarewink:

manfred was so close.yet again another top bloke got so close towards the end yet the finish line seemed so far away.

Max Immelman, when he wasn't busy shooting his own propeller off with primitive synchronisation gear, developed many fighter combat techniques that were to become the standard in dogfighting, and was responsible for the term "Blue Max" of that particular medal.
He's got my vote.
immelman.jpg

Of course Richtofen gets two votes for sheer charisma, reputation and deadliness.

I've gotta go with Billy Bishop, with 72 confirmed (yes, confirmed) kills. Why? Well because he was damn good, that's why.

...and of course because he was Canadian. ;)

Attachments

• billy_bishop_102.jpg
    billy_bishop_102.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 602
DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I think it is a great loss all of them. I wonder if Richthoffen would have flown in WW2 also?

most probably both manfred and lothar would have flown in the second world war.

jrk said:
DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I think it is a great loss all of them. I wonder if Richthoffen would have flown in WW2 also?

most probably both manfred and lothar would have flown in the second world war.

Possibly - I think it would of depended if they embraced the Nazi party or were offered a position in the Luftwafle.

It seems a few top aces didn't fair well in WW2 - Wolfram Von Ritchtofen died shortly after the war. Ernst Udet - well, he didn't do too good as well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back