Best Aircraft in Many Different Roles Part II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Spitfire could do most of those and the Hurricane did do most of those. Simply because most of those mentioned were just jobs of a fighter.

I still have to go with the Ju-88. The mosquito was a great aircraft but I have not found a role that the Ju-88 did not perform. Hell it even performed as a flying bomb!

I am sure the Ju-88 could have been modded to launch from a catupult. There was not much that it could do. It was even being tested with Duka 88 Recoiless cannons at the end of the war.

An article I read in a magazine claimed that "the Ju88 could out turn a Mosquito with ease but against a Mustang it stood no chance". It showed gun camera fim of a Mustang shooting down a Ju88.
I was quite surprised by this claim. I wonder if its true.

As for the best aircraft in many different roles, I think:

1940 - 1941 Bf109 with bomb load (disadvantage: short range)
1942 - 1944 FW190 A and F
1944 - 1945 FW190 D-9

As for that claim above, I highly doubt it.

As for teh best aircraft in many different roles I can not agree with you. The Ju-88 could do more then both of those aircraft. The 109 was never really used more then a fighter, interceptor, fighter bomber, night fighter and recon. And as the disadvantage of what you stated being the short range with a bomb load on the Bf-109. She already had short range as it was.

For single engine maybe the Fw-190 but deffinatly no the Bf-109. And of those two if we are talking about "Best" of all catagories. The Mosquito and the Ju-88 are far better.

The Fw-190 was not far from perfect, it was possibly the closest thing to a perfect aircraft that all countries had...Many things ive read have said this...

if it was perfect it would be free, so easy to fly a fish could do it, would fly at 600mph, would carry every gun you could think of, could carry a grand slam, wouldn't use any strateigic meterials, could turn on a 6pence and could take off and land vertically.........

perfection depends on your opinion, in my opinion, the Fw-190 was far from perfect.........

I never said it was perfect, I said it was close to perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread