Best Battle of Britain Aircraft

Best Battle of Britain aircraft?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese said:
It did all that was asked of it. Great Plane.

And sometimes more than that. Catching fire, shedding a wing and blowing up, for instance, is something that probably no pilot ever asked of his Hurricane, and yet....

i really don't konw y people think that the spit is SUPERIOR to the me-109, i think that the me-109 is just as good as the spit, depending on the pliot, but how is the hurricane better than the 109? even a buffelo(worst fighter in servise in the USAAF) is better than it. another reason i think that u people vote 4 the spit over the 109 is because the allies won the war, and most of u are in the allie countrys:( anywayz as i said, the 109 also got a armament adventage of having 20MM cannons even on the early visons

i would welcome anybody to make a comment about this.

At the time, the Hurricane was the best. It was older than the Spit and (I think) the 109 as well, so it was a more developed plane. It was stronger then the Spit, similar performance and much easier to maintain. Both the Hurricane and the Spitfire also had a far greater range than that of the Bf-109.

Galland, the Buffalo is nothing compared with the Hurricane. You're underestimating (by a bloody long way) how good the Hurricane was...

Both the Spit and the bf-109 started out well before the war and in a form of leapfrog were always swapping for the title of the best. That's not bad though both basic airframes "grew" as needed throughout the war a real tribute to their designs, a lot of designs couldn't.

The spit's cockpit was bigger and the pilot got a better veiw of whats going around, the 109's cockpit was smaller and you coulend look back(unlike the spit), The spit's engine wasnt so good, when geting in to a nose dive or flying upside down, oil would have flooded the engine.

But my vote is to the hurri cuz of the unbeliveabul fire power thet he had,

Attachments

• hs_293a-0_wird_von_he_111_abgeworfen.jpg
    hs_293a-0_wird_von_he_111_abgeworfen.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 798
i really don't konw y people think that the spit is SUPERIOR to the me-109

because it was...............

At the time, the Hurricane was the best

the spitfire was still considdered the better plane...................

It was older than the Spit and (I think) the 109 as well, so it was a more developed plane

not really, during the BoB both aircraft were in their Mk.I, the spit was the more advanced plane.........

the lancaster kicks ass said:
i really don't konw y people think that the spit is SUPERIOR to the me-109

because it was...............

At the time, the Hurricane was the best

the spitfire was still considdered the better plane...................

It was older than the Spit and (I think) the 109 as well, so it was a more developed plane

not really, during the BoB both aircraft were in their Mk.I, the spit was the more advanced plane.........

How were they still in their first marks?

There were Bf-109A-D models BEFORE the BoB, so while the Spit was about equal in *new word* advancitude, the "Emil" was more developed...

*EDIT*~I just realized you were talking about the Hurri, but my point still stands...

cheddar cheese said:
At the time, the Hurricane was the best.
No, both the Bf 109 and Spitfire were better
It was older than the Spit and (I think) the 109 as well, so it was a more developed plane.
It was in truth, a monoplane development of the Hawker Fury, but it was designed at around the same time as the Spit and 109
It was stronger then the Spit, similar performance and much easier to maintain.
It was a study aircraft and it could out-turn both the Spit and 109, but it was over 30mph slower than the Spit and 109, and both could out-climb it with ease.
Also the Hurricane had a major flaw in the BOB, the fuel tank located between the engine bulkhead and the cockpit was not self sealing or armoured (it had been assumed that its position gave it protection) and a large number of Hurricanes were lost when this tank was hit, and a number of pilots suffered what was called 'hurricane burns' to the hands and face. Efforts to rectify this fault took place in the BOB, but the majority of aircraft were not altered until after the battle.
Both the Hurricane and the Spitfire also had a far greater range than that of the Bf-109.
Not true.
All were designed as short range interceptors, and all had a range of less than 500 miles.
Galland, the Buffalo is nothing compared with the Hurricane. You're underestimating (by a bloody long way) how good the Hurricane was...
I agree with this point ;)

Well at least I got something right :lol:

My point was though was that Galland was nt appreciating the effectiveness of the Hurricane so I tried to shed some light on it.

Adolf Galland said:
i really don't konw y people think that the spit is SUPERIOR to the me-109, i think that the me-109 is just as good as the spit, depending on the pliot, but how is the hurricane better than the 109? even a buffelo(worst fighter in servise in the USAAF) is better than it. another reason i think that u people vote 4 the spit over the 109 is because the allies won the war, and most of u are in the allie countrys:( anywayz as i said, the 109 also got a armament adventage of having 20MM cannons even on the early visons

i would welcome anybody to make a comment about this.

I think the original Adolf Galland said it best when Hitler asked him what he needed to beat the British and he answered "A squadron of Spitfires" this is a quite famous quote.

My major problem with the bf-109 it that provisions were never made to give it the fuel to do the job it was asked to do in the BOB. It just wasn't up to the task, the Spit was.

the spit was considdered more manouverable than the hurricance, however both could turn inside the 109.........
did u just say that both the spit nd hurrican can OUTTURN the 109?
No, i admit that the spit can, but the hurricans? they are sitting ducks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back