Best Battle of Britain Aircraft

Best Battle of Britain aircraft?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Adolf Galland said:
did u just say that both the spit nd hurrican can OUTTURN the 109?
No, i admit that the spit can, but the hurricans? they are sitting ducks!!
Many a 109 pilot made the same mistake ;)
The Bf 109 was better in many respects, but not in a turning fight.
With two pilots of the same skill and determination, a Hurricane will always out-turn a 109.
Its to do with wing load ratio, the higher a wing load ratio is, normally, the wider the turning circle. The Bf had the highest wing-loading ratio of the 3, and the Hurricane had the lowest. ;)

No really they did :lol: Bf-109 pilots thought they were Hurricanes, crept up behind them, and got shot to shit by the turret. When they found this out though it became a sitting duck. ;)

Funny fact about the Spitfire/Hurricane thing...

"I was finally on duty in the RAF, assigned to Tangmere, one of the main bases of the Battle of Britain. At the beginning, I was flying a Hurricane, a wonderful plane, strong as a rock. They said that the Spitfire won the Battle of Britain, but it's a legend. [...] Even Germans knew this legend about the Spitfire. The great Peter Townsend told me one day that he got lucky enough to meet, in a hospital, a German pilot he shot down.

"I'm glad to meet the Spitfire pilot who shot me down" said the German pilot.

"No, no. I was piloting a Hurricane !" said Peter.

He got a hard time to convince the German pilot. But this one finally said :

"Right, but if ever you meet one of my friends, tell him that I've been shot down by a Spitfire !"

- James A. Goodson (Flew with the RCAF 416 squadron, then transferred to the USAAF 133 squadron (Eagle squadron) at the end of 1942.)

I think you mean the highest CLAIMING fighter of the war. Everyone knows the deal with RAF claims.

"So I hopped over the 109s with ease, and shot down the whole foramtion of Heinkels! Must have been 100 of them! One pass of course, old boy."

The overwhelming firepower of the hurrican could scrap a hevly armed target with a reletive ease, But with added firepower theres and added recoil wich requires a sturdyer frame, Wich in turn is adding wight,
in the end it effects preformence.

The hurrican was never made to be a fighter it was a tankbuster so no wounder thet the hurrican was a siting duck for the 109.

The germen pilots feared the spitfire, You never heared "achtung hurrican" it was allways "Achtung! Spitfire",

You're kidding - right? If a country is designing tanks that can be destroyed with a wash of .303 then they need to redesign the thing - or stop making them out of wood.

You know the Hurricane was designed as the RAF's first monoplane fighter? Keyword: Fighter?

It's a shame Hurricane Mk.IIcs weren't around for BoB. I don't think too many Kraut bombers could hold up to 4 20mm.

allways "Achtung! Spitfire",

"Achtung! Spitfeur!" If you wanna be totally precise ;)

It seems to me a lot of people need educating on the effectiveness of the Hurricane...

They do. The Hurricane shot down more German planes during BoB than the Spitfire. 32 Squadrons of Hurricane to 11 Squadrons of Spitfire. It was a fighter, and certainly not a sitting duck.

Still...I'd rather be in the Spitfire.

You can stick to the cows and save Britain, while I stick to the rats and save you then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back