Best looking WW2 fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Best looking Italian twin? Has to be this:

View attachment 653756

Couldn't fly worth a damn....but it was good looking! :)
Disagree. The IMAM Ro.58 is better looking, but to be fair was a one off.

1913784_orig.jpg

When Italian born Ettore Bugatti started his business, it was in Molsheim, Germany.
After WWI, that region was ceeded to France.

The modern Bugatti was founded by an Italian in the 80's and is based in Italy.

So everyone's right, depending on which point in time we're talking about! :lol:
Reminds me of Fokker. They armed the Luftwaffe in WW1, but was the company German or Dutch? Then there Sikorsky, a Russian fixed wing and American rotary wing firm.

This makes me wonder if Hugo Junkers and family could have fled Germany in 1931 and set up a new aeronautical firm elsewhere. The old man was 76 when he died in 1935, so it will need to be his children that must have the talent and abilities.

Reminds me of Fokker. They armed the Luftwaffe in WW1, but was the company German or Dutch? Then there Sikorsky, a Russian fixed wing and American rotary wing firm.

This makes me wonder if Hugo Junkers and family could have fled Germany in 1931 and set up a new aeronautical firm elsewhere. The old man was 76 when he died in 1935, so it will need to be his children that must have the talent and abilities.
The interesting thing about Fokker, is he *technically* was East Javan, of course his parents were Dutch and East Java was a Dutch territory.
That he was making aircraft for Imperial Germany, was because that's where his airplane shop was founded.

Sikorsky's life and contributions to the U.S. is an interesting story, but so is Alexander Seversky's.
He was born in Imperial Russia, served in the Imperial Navy as an aviator, lost his leg in a crash after being shot down by a German Destroyer during WWI. The Navy deemed him unfit to fly but Tsar Nicholas had him reinstated, and Seversky went on to become an Ace, shooting down 6 German aircraft (confirmed out of 13 claimed).

Long story short: without Seversky, there would have been no P-47 :thumbleft:

Golly, I hate to break the rules. . .(well, no, I really don't). . .but any contest for "most beautiful airplane" can have only one winner in my judgment. Unfortunately, it's not a fighter and it missed the War, but the winner has got to be the U3A. (See, I found the Air Force version, at least. But most people remember it as Sky King's Cessna 310B Songbird. A prettier plane was never built.)

Blue Canoe.jpg

Actually, Michael Gregor (Gregorashvili) was Georgian, as Kartveli was (Kartvelishvili).
Though, Armenian aviation enthusiasts might disagree, since Gregorashvili's mother was from an Armenian family.
I understood him to have been born in what is now Dagestan, moving to Georgia after leaving the Russian military during the revolution?

Sky King had an earlier Cessna I liked better, or just as well as the three ten. I liked his old bamboo bomber, the UC-78.
Yeah. . .for the longest time I thought that was some sort of Beechcraft. As pretty as a 1950s pickup truck. (Sorry, but I fell for the 310's curves (in places) and the straight lines (in other places, like the engine nacelles). And those watermelon-seed tip tanks are just gorgeous. In fact, I like the Super Constellation almost as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back