Best medium bomber?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Invader looks better :D

a26.jpg

Isn't that a waste receptical from the latrines? No, the Invader didn't pull shit delivery duty. :lol:

Seriously though, what kind of ordinance is it?

Looks like a smaller version of the DamBusters bouncing bomb.

Well, You think it can carry 1 of this babys ?

Attachments

• illusion-15_479.gif
    illusion-15_479.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 495
  • tallboy1_410.gif
    tallboy1_410.gif
    57.8 KB · Views: 497
  • grandslam_187.jpg
    grandslam_187.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 482
Too long to be a dambuster bomb like the Lancaster carried. Although the Mosquito did carry a dambusting bomb that was ball shaped, I remember the word Highball mentioned in there too.

Anyway I'm pretty sure thats a cookie!!

yes that is a 4,000lb "cookie" high explosive bomb..........

and yes the mossie did carry the "highball" she could carry two in fact. The were developed by Dr. Barnes Wallis to be used against the Tirpitz and worked on the same priciples as his "upkeeps"...............

This thread concerns the best medium bomber and not the most effective single 4,000lb piece of ordinance that could be dropped.

As between the Mosquito and Invader, both with 6,000lb bomb loads, I believe the A-26 is the better aircraft. It could take more punishment, had radial engines and a significant defensive armament.

As to flight performance, I don't know how the Mosquito handled with 6,000lbs of ordinance but have heard that she was slow, sluggish and unforgiving. I believe the A-26 performed better with a heavy ordinance load.

Perhaps someone can produce some stats for us.

I understand that the A-26's maximum range with a maximum ordinance load was 1,400 miles. I don't know if this was accurate.

Does anyone know the maximum range of the Mosquito and Invader with 6,000lb ordinance loads?

Anyone? ... Beuller? Beuller?

I was reading another thread entitled "P-38 or Mosquito" and noticed that "The Lancaster Kicks Ass" posted the following stats:

DH Mosquito B.MK XVI

max speed: 415mph
range on internal fuel with max payload: 1,485 miles
ceiling: 37,000ft
payload: 5,000lb

I also noticed other quotes that the Mosquito only carried a max of 4,000lbs on missions to Berlin.

I believe the range of the A-26 Invader with a 6,000lb ordinance load was 1,400 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back