Best medium bomber?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DAVIDICUS said:
Yes but how can you take an aircraft seriously when it was was built of wood by people with bad teeth.

Surely you wouldn't disagree. :lol:

Are you saying I have bad teeth ?:twisted:
Besides, building the Mossie out of wood made it very light and manouverable aswell as not using up essential war materials. There was a logic to it

If the dentures fit ...

I'm just kidding. The Mosquito was a fine aircraft. I do think the A-26 was better in an attack / light / medium bomber role though. Just my opinion.

I notice that you are a rugby fan. My alma mater, U.C. Berkeley, has won the collegiate national championship 13 of the last 14 years. In fact, we beat our arch rival Stanford last weekend 82-5.

An "alma mater" is term for a school where you earn a degree.

It's a university here too. For example:

University of California at Berkeley

Stanford University

Alma mater is a term meaning that you not only attended but graduated from the university. Had I attended Berkeley for a while but then dropped out without graduating, it would still be a university I attended but not my alma mater.

I have seen the A-26's range listed from 1,400 to 2,200 miles. I'm frankly not sure what to believe. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it.

you couldn't really see the B-26 on long range strateigic bombing missions over berlin for example...........

The B-26 Marauder had a range of 1,100 miles with a 4,000lb bomb load.

How much of a range was needed to strike Berlin?

So, does anyone know what the range of an A-26 Invader would be with a 6,000lb bomb load?

How about a Mosquito with a 6,000lb bomb load?

the lancaster kicks ass said:
you couldn't really see the B-26 on long range strateigic bombing missions over berlin for example...........

But we're not talking about the B-26...it was fairly different from the A-26. Made by different manufacturers I think.

cheddar cheese said:
the lancaster kicks ass said:

But we're not talking about the B-26...it was fairly different from the A-26. Made by different manufacturers I think.

The B-26 was built by Martin Manufacturing and discontinued at the end of the war.

The A-26 was an off shoot of the Douglas twin (Havoc?) that was provided to the Brits early in the war at wars end the designation was changed to B-26 when the Martin bomber went away. It was retired from Air Force service in 1966 after serving in WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

I only mentioned the B-26 because the lancaster kicks ass said, "you couldn't really see the B-26 on long range strateigic bombing missions over berlin for example..........."

I don't know why he threw that into the mix. An early onset of dimentia perhaps.

Maybe he thought they were the same. He's only really highly knowledgeable on British aircraft. I dont blame him though, I also used to think they were the same :oops:

That designation has always been a problem because there was a B-26 and an A-26, which were different manufacturers. The Havoc was the A-20, BTW. The A-26 was the Invader, the B-26 was the Marauder. It is difficult to keep them separate!

A-26 Invader

Is anyone else experiencing Deja Vu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back