Best medium bomber?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i'm just waiting for CC to come along and say the droopsnoot P-38 was the best medium bomber...........

Ive always thought that the mossie suffered somewhat for being an all-rounder. It could have been the British Lightning...or a twin-engined Typhoon...or the best nightfighter of the war...or an anti-shipping strike aircraft...but in the end it was jack of all trades and master of none. Thats not to take away from the massive contribution the mossie made to the RAF campaigns, especially Operation Overlord, but I cant help feeling that had the mosiie been given just one or two roles, it might have trult excelled 8)

but it did truely excel, it was the allie's best nightfighter, one of our best bombers, a first rate maritime patrol aircraft and a superb attack plane..........

Ok, a few things...

1. How are you defining best nightfighter? In any quantatative assessment (i.e kills/losses), the winner will be a German type simply because they did the most nightfighting. The Mossie NFs didnt face the kind of combat testing the German aircraft did.

2. Anti-shipping - only a few of the Mollins Gun fitted models were delivered. Quantataively, something like the SBD, D3A or B25 is going to get the ship hunting title. So again, how can you support an argument that the Mossie is the best ship-killer of the war?

Im not trying to be awkward, its just that you seem confident that the Mossie beat all other aircraft at everything, even roles in which it had little participation 8)

at no point, you can check if you wish, did i claim the mossie was the allies best anti-shipping aircraft, i said she was "a first rate maritime patrol aircraft", and i know only about 18 Mk.XVIIIs were made, she still did allot of work with rockets...............

"the winner will be a German type simply because they did the most nightfighting" why the hell are you bringing german fighters into this?? i said the mossie was the best allied nightfighter, what's that got to do with the germans??

mosquitoman said:
It excelled anyway- best nightfighter, best pathfinder and one of the best anti-shipping aircraft. Wasn't that bad at submarine killing either

That was the post I was going by. I withdraw the anti-shipping comment - that was misunderstanding on my part :oops: But I still stand by comments about the mossie not being the best nightfighter of the war

BombTaxi said:
mosquitoman said:
But I still stand by comments about the mossie not being the best nightfighter of the war

To compare an a/c's performance, one has to ask if it would have better or worse while flying for the other airforce. So, would the Mossie have done better or worse in LW service than the LW's NFs?

the lancaster kicks ass said:
i really wouldn't be supprised if he did, i know him well enough to say that.......

Well you obvioulsy dont...why do you keep assuming that im going to say riduculous things? I aint a f*cking thick shit

the lancaster kicks ass said:
i'm just waiting for CC to come along and say the droopsnoot P-38 was the best medium bomber...........

While they were very effective at Path finding (visual and radar) and bombing, including with several normal P-38s carrying up to 5,200lb loads up to 450 mi radius, The powers that be decided that with the large numbers of bombers available it was not necissary to use the P-38 for those missions unless it was needed for a specific target.

Ploesti was that kind of target, after all the other attempts of destroying the refineries were inadequate they sent the P-38s. The P-38 raid was the most effective though it didn't stop the refining completely or permanently. The Germans/Romanians were exceptional at damage control/repair. Droop Snoots were not used on the main raid though may have been used at a later date.

KraziKanuK said:
To compare an a/c's performance, one has to ask if it would have better or worse while flying for the other airforce. So, would the Mossie have done better or worse in LW service than the LW's NFs?

Now thats a criterion I can work with! I think this should go to the approporiate thread in the polls section though, that is where this particular strand of the discussion belongs ;) 8)

"I think the thing is that we all have our preferences and we're not going to be swayed by any conflicting views"
----------------------------------------------------

I agree. The A-26 Invader was clearly the best of the best!

:evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back