Best medium bomber? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thats a nice little overview of he Ju-88 there! 8)

The Ju-88 was every bit as good as other bomber from its class.

Its like the germen counterpart of The Timber Terror.

No, the German counterpart of the Timber Terror was the Ta-154 Moskito, also made of wood.

Coincedience? I dont think so. :lol:

The JU-88 may have been the best German medium bomber of the war but it fell far short compared to the allies' offerings.

I still say the Invader was the best medium bomber of the war.

6,000lb ordinance capacity
355mph top speed
Plenty of defensive (and offensive) armament

It's no wonder the Invader served through two wars after WWII.

mosquitoman said:
Lanc, I agree the Wimpey was good but I don't really see it making low-level precision attacks, all guns blazing
Can it manuver properly at low altetuids ?, And not brake apart when diveing ?

Attachments

• 109_366.jpg
    109_366.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 548
The Wellington was not an attack bomber. It was designed for high-altitude level bombing, like the contemporary Hampden and Whitley. It was too big, too slow, and incorrectly armed for the Mossie/Havoc interdiction and attack role.

BombTaxi said:
The Wellington was not an attack bomber. It was designed for high-altitude level bombing, like the contemporary Hampden and Whitley. It was too big, too slow, and incorrectly armed for the Mossie/Havoc interdiction and attack role.
I know that, I am just bringing up a point.

Attachments

• 109_186.jpg
    109_186.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 517
Fair point! 8) As someone said back on the first page, we need to draw a distinction between multi-engine strike aircraft and twin-engine strategic bombers (or 'level bombers' if you prefer), or we're going to end up debating chalk and cheese comparisons.

For level bomber, Im gonna go with Wimpey, simply because it was stupidly tough and was Bomber Command's backbone while the heavies were still being intergrated.

For attack bomber, Im gonna gave to say B-25, simply because it did what the Mossie did with bigger weapons and more of 'em! 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back