Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Corsair

• ME110

• JU88

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huck it was actually a single 13mm-.50 gun in the Ju 88G-6.

the Bf 110G-4 had the MG 81 7.92 and yes even the rear gunner did succeed in shooting down a Mossie or two that was following. A real rarity I must say. ammo for the MG 81 Zwilling was ?, not actually sure really...... anyone else have an idea ?

E ~ and yes I have to agree for the Allies the Mossie was truely the finest night fighter. Of course I won;t mention this in front of my P-61 pilot friends .... :lol:

I believe the Stuka carried 900 rpg for its rear-firing MG 81Z. I don't know if the same load would have been carried in the 110 or not.

Erich mention away, we all will pull for a plane that we fly.

Question would you even think a PBY Black Cat a fighter? OK the not wpuld be a good start, but it did do a good job in the night, an with our raidar the Japanese jighters had a harder time with them. ;)

i say either the widow or the speical vison of the me-110, and the special me-110 ahve 4 20mm fixed 30degrees upward and so the 110 could sneak under the bomber and attck it w/out the crew knowing wuts going on

nemerous night fighters were fitted with something similar, i would say it's name but i can't spell it, it was baisically a upward firing cannon for raking the belly of bombers with led.................

The P-61 was very good, but it came into the war late and until the P-61B and C had some problums, and lacked night air targets in the PTO.

But this question needs to be asked that time in the war? The me-110 is a good bet if not the Black Widow.

Until recently I had no idea the Me-110 was successfully used as a nightfighter.
If it was up there I would vote P-38, as although the P-38M saw little service at the end of the war, P-38J's and L's were regularly converted to NF's.
There is even a recorded instance of a pilot going up at night in a regular P-38 (F model I think) and taking out 2 Jap Nightfighters!

funny, there's also a story of a lanc going up and the tail gunner got 3 confimed kills and a possible shared in one night, doesn't make it a good fighter...................

Thats because the guy who shot it wasnt flying the plane as well, he only had to focus on shooting the target, let alone kepping the plane flying. And the Lancaster was designed to fly at night and I take it the gunners were trained to shoot in the dark too.

A guy going up in a dayfighter with no radar or matt black paint or whatever those things are that are put on the guns to stop the flash blinding the pilot, and taking out 2 planes that did have that equipment is damn good...

And the P-38 was a fighter lanc...

C.C, you are corect that a P-38 got kills over two Jap planes. They were used as such some times because of need. Night fighting in the Pacific was a little differet then in Europe. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back