Best Overachiever Aircraft? (1 Viewer)

What aircraft gave the best account for itself despite the long odds?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oreo

Senior Airman
Jul 18, 2008
South Carolina
Read carefully so you'll understand what I mean. Some aircraft in WWII achieved incredible results against incredible odds, and sometimes with incredibly troublesome aircraft, in small numbers, or with ancient technology. Here are a list of improbable heroes to vote for: We are looking for the plane that gave the greatest account for itself, in spite of the long odds.

Good idea for a poll,,, tough choice between Buffalo, Gladiator, Swordfish and the Polikarpov I-16,

THe original post said:
achieved incredible results against incredible odds, and sometimes with incredibly troublesome aircraft, in small numbers, or with ancient technology

The latter 3 comments are points, but as the "sometimes" seams imply, the main point is at incredible odds. (the 3 points giving examples on what those odds may be)

:?:

You consider the Bf 109 an overachiever?

It was a damn good aircraft. Not the best but a damn good aircraft....

if you consider the nf 109 was started service in spanish civil war and was manufactured until the total destruction of germans industry, the climb ratio, manuverability, firepower, general performance and it was also manufactured or assembled under license and used after war by israel, czheks and spanish... is was the very damm good project !

people says the only problem of bf 109 was the "chaos of diferent versions".

:shock:

Adler, I was going to say 109 as well (it wasn't listed) only because it went so far and above what it was designed for. It was a good aircraft and achieved alot - aLOT! Amazing aircraft especially for what it was used for.

:?:

You consider the Bf 109 an overachiever?

It was a damn good aircraft. Not the best but a damn good aircraft....

Sorry I read the post wrong.. I was thinking overachiever was in achieve alot more then it should of..Not saying it was a bad aircraft at all..Just being keep in service longer then most ..And achieven alot..Sorry read the post wrong..

:oops: :oops:

I went with the swordfish. That plane had no business doing what it did against the types of vessels it went up against and having the success that it had. But God bless the crews that flew them.

i agree thorlifter, i believe it even outlived it's successor (the albecore)

Tough question. The Buffalo in the hands of the Finns was an Overachiever by any standard, The Sworfish accomplished the most for it's standard of design and performance as a Torpedo bomber.

I am leaning to the Swordfish for its superior contribution to ultimate victory.

Last - the 109 definitely does not belong in class of 'overachiever' as it is truly one of the greatest fighters of all times. You don't build crap 39000 times.

I voted for the Swordfish, but could of gone for the buffalo or Gladiator. The Hawk 75 was an excellent aircraft and did do well during the battle of France. Although not very fast it was one of the most under-rated aircraft of WW2.

Adler, I was going to say 109 as well (it wasn't listed) only because it went so far and above what it was designed for. It was a good aircraft and achieved alot - aLOT! Amazing aircraft especially for what it was used for.

I am not saying the 109 at all. To me it was not an overachiever at all.

I wish the word "overachiever" was not used at the start of this ...The word meaning is not the same to all people.. It means to me a plane that did more then one would knew it would when new ...And lasted longer then the maker would of dreamed ...Thats how I see the 109.. Great plane...And it overachiever in every way ...Great plane...I use the word in a "good" light ..Not bad..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back